PDA

View Full Version : cleaning older jugs

tuckermtn
03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
we have a bunch of older but still unused gallon jugs I got when I bought out the contents of a sugarhouse

I think they are sugarhill jugs

what is the general consensus on best way to clean these up befor jugging?

Hot water and no soap? Hot water, no soap, and bleach? ...was thinking of running them through the dishwaster without detergent...

they are in good shape (read: no mouse brothels) and we have a couple of customers who like the gallons..

cheers-

tuckermtn

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I run my old jugs thru the dishwasher every year a couple of times with detergent. Don't worry about the dishwasher detergent, it will rinse just like it does on all the other dishes and you wouldn't wash your dishes you eat out of without detergent.

What I mean by old jugs is that I have several people that keep their jugs and give them back to me and I keep mine. Don't get alarmed, no I don't sell syrup in these jugs. But with the price of jugs, I have 4 different property owners most are family members, 3 helpers and my family and if I can get 20 or 30 jugs back, that saves me $ 20 to $ 30 in new jug cost for giveaway syrup. I give away aprox 15+ gallon to property owners and helpers including the couple gallon we keep for ourselves.

These jugs clean up and look and smell like new. Besides, the dishwasher detergent also sanitizes them.