PDA

View Full Version : Float boxes

wanabe
04-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi Guys, I just picked up a 2x8 evaporator with factory pans and a homemade arch. The problem is I didnt get any float boxes are these somthing that can be fabricated or do I have by these. Ive check a few guys around here to see what the are useing and the are either big operations with electronics or backyarders scooping sap to maintain there level. I have a few ideas how to build these Im just looking for a tested method to use Thanks Jeff

Bruce Kilgore
04-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Jeff, I do'nt know about making a float box, but I have two that I found in a old sugarhouse that was being taken down. I have know idea of the maker but they are stainlessand sodered. You are welcome to them. Bruce

wanabe
04-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Bruce, I am very interested in what you have I sent you a P.M. Thanks Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Jeff,

If it is a drop flue, you will only need on float box on the flue pan on whichever side you prefer the sap to come in. The syrup pan should have a draw off box on either side :?: :?:

If it is a raised flue, you will need a box on the flue pan and two on the syrup pan, one on each side.

wanabe
04-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Brandon

I have a drop flue rear pan does the float box just go into the rear pan then pipe it direct into the front pan or do I need a float from where the sap exits the flue and enters the front pan? This is going to be a new experience for me because Ive always boiled on a single pan.

Thanks Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Jeff,

You only need a float box on the flue pan only. The front pan and the flues in the flue pan are the same height, so you only need the one float on the flue pan to control the level in the entire evaporator. You will need connections to connect the syrup pan to the flue pan and drawoff valves on each side on the rear of the syrup pan, but no floats. You should have drawoff boxes already in place on each side of the syrup pan where your valves mount to and where the connections are. :D :D

strange syrup
05-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Jeff,
something else that should be noted (from an oops) the bottom of the float box should be about 2" below the bottom of the level of the bottom of the syrup pan, this will allow the float to work better, in keeping a sap level of about 11/2"-2" in the syrup pan if your plugs are in the right place.

keep reading and learning its FUN....