PDA

View Full Version : Soule Aluminum Taps

Jim Powell
03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I have recently boiled these to use this afternoon, and when they dry they are covered with a white poweder. It will rub off, but is boiling in distilled water not what I should do? Thanks.

Dennis H.
03-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I boiled my taps in plain old water out of the faucet and it also had that white stuff you are mentioning. Didn't seem to cause any ill effect.

MaplePancakeMan
03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
To my knowledge its just minerals and such, i boiled the ones i used to have as well and got the same powdery substance. I then dipped them into a rubbing alcohol/ water solution and set them to dry on a towel before putting them in the trees.

Jim Powell
03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I figured it had to be Aluminum Oxide, so didn't worry about it since we started having a pretty good flow. One of the tidbits I picked up here was to buy that Maple Producers Handbook from Ohio, so i checked in it. It said to just pour boiling water over the taps.

I will tumble them in my brass polisher for reloading after this season, and not boil them so long next year, if i even use them. I did try some tree savor plastic setups from the MapleGuys, very nice!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Either way, it won't hurt anything or affect the syrup or sap in anyway.