PDA

View Full Version : Float Valve - cheap and dirty

Big_Eddy
03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Has anyone tried one of the little giant waterer valves as a cheap alternative to a float valve? I see them advertised in my TSC for $10-15 from time to time as a control valve for stock tanks. Looks like a simple hose bib connection. Given my supply tank is higher than my evaporator and I have a potable water hose - I wondered if one would work as a cheap and dirty solution to keep adding sap slowly to my flat pan. I run 3-4" deep in a batch mode, so precise control is not necessary. Usually I just crack the valve so there is a trickle coming in all the time but that method is prone to overfilling when the fire drops down (when I'm out gathering more wood or sap)

Anyone tried one? I might just pick one up next time I go by.

xulgiy
03-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I purchased a brass float valve locally....same as this one for a few more dollars, and you get all brass.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2X524

tessiersfarm
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I use the little giant float valves for my stock tanks but they have plastic parts which are not made to take the heat. I would try it in a pot of water before putting it in my sap. They do work pretty well on low water pressure.