PDA

View Full Version : Building a canner from milk can question.

maplecow
03-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Hello, I have a stainless milk receiver can that I want to use as a canner. I need to add a ball valve to the bottom, and my question is what type of fitting would I use to actually go through the can? In other words, if I have a ball valve I assume I will need a nipple to attach the valve to, but does the nipple itself go through the can with a couple of threaded nuts on either side? Or is there a particular type of fitting for this. Now, don't laugh at my question if I asked my husband he would be laughing at me, hence the need to post my question here! Thanks for your time and have a great day.

VT maple maker
03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Your best bet would be to have a nipple welded or soldered onto the milk can. then solder another piece from there to the ball valve. Or use a nipple with threads in it so you can run a pipe from the nipple to a threaded ball valve. Make sure you put the nipple as far down as possible so all the syrup drains out of the can.

Kyle

markct
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
you can use what is known as a bulkhead fitting, its basicly like a bolt and nut with a hole drilled thru the middle and each end tapped for pipe thread, some hardware stores carry them but if not a truck shop or hydraulics shop will have them

O'B
04-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I tig welded a stainless coupling as low as I could to the bottom of the vessel and coated the inside with oil to inhibit spatter sticking. Used it the first time this year and it saved a tremendous amount of time canning. It wouldn't let me attach a picture but if you want one I could email. Bob

tessiersfarm
04-10-2008, 07:15 PM
I got 2 bulkhead fittings from www.homebrewery.com and they were great to deal with. The fittings worked great with no leaks. They are stainless steel with 1/2" male threads outside and 1/2" female threads inside, for putting on a screen if you like. I put one of them on my wood fired evaporator pan to draw off with and the other on my 30qt stainless turkey cooker pot to finish with and can out of.