PDA

View Full Version : Using canning jars

Rick_Seebeck
03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I just bottled my first batch of sryup in 1/2 pint canning jars. I used a coffe urn that kept the sryup at exactly 180 degrees while I filled the jars. I stood the jars on end for the first 20 minutes while they cooled and then stored them on their side for the next 3 hours.

Is this the right technique? Or should I tweak my operation a bit?

325abn
03-19-2008, 06:49 AM
You should turn the bottles on thier sides just after sealing while the syrup is still hot. They only need to be on the sides for a minute or two. This sterlizes the tops.

At least this is how we do it.

Mac_Muz
03-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I have had glass jars break, which is no fun. SO now wearing gloves i pick them up right as the cover has been turned tight, flip the jar upside down and place it with others in a large pot. If a jar breaks i can salaved most of what would otherwise be lost, and very little mess to deal with, less broken glass.

tessiersfarm
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I heat my glass jars slowly in water before I pour in the syrup. They Break from getting hot too fast. At least thats what my father has always told me, it seams to work because we almost never break them.

skinny78
03-20-2008, 12:53 AM
We warm the jars in the oven first to 200 deg. then we fill them with hot syrup out of the water jacket canner, put a hot flap on, secure with a ring and let them stand upright. We also simmer the flaps first, is this necessary or can we just turn them over for a couple minutes? Haven't broken a jar in three years, knock on wood!!!

Lyle
03-20-2008, 07:20 AM
When I use canning jars I fill them with hot tap water and let them stand untill I am ready to fill them with syrup. Right before filling I dump the water out. Also I boil the lids in a small sauce pan of water and take them out as needed. I have never had a jar break or fail to seal since doing this.