PDA

View Full Version : Disapointing rate

325abn
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Last weekend over a total boiling time of 9Hrs 18min I averaged just under 21gal/hr. Using my 2X4 18" syrup section and a 30" raise flue oil fired rig. Last year I was closer to 30 but I gues my time keeping was off.

I am hoping to pull my pan and do some tweeking on my arch maybe place some baffles or somthing to get more boil in the flue section.

Any thoughts? Am asking to much out of this size rig?

Bucket Head
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm not a weather man, but I think your low rate was due to the weather condition's. My rig did not boil/evaporate like it usually does either. I don't know what the humidity was on Sat., but I'm guessing it was high.

Do the math next time you boil and then compare number's and take note of the weather condition's.

Mother Nature can toy with us producer's in many way's.

Steve

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
A good wind blowing across the top of the stack and the steam stack on a wood fired should help the evaporation rate.

Russell Lampron
03-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I have been struggling to get over 30gph out of my evaporator this year. Last year and in years past I was getting 35gph on a regular basis. I haven't changed anything this year to make it any different than in the past.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2008, 08:16 AM
It seemed like it was raining or snowing about every time I boiled this year and that don't help matters any. Besides the humidity outside being 100%, it gets that way inside quickly too.

maple marc
03-20-2008, 01:13 PM
21 gph out of a 2x4 sounds really good to me. I average about 15-16 gph for my Leader WSE drop flue. Your flue pan is bigger than mine and I am sure the oil helps.

Marc