PDA

View Full Version : Boiling in Columbia Ct.

caseman
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
So far so good, had less time this year so I put in fewer taps, as of now I'm ahead of last year. Question is I'm getting more sugar sand than I've ever gotten before. Anyone seeing this to?

ctjim
03-22-2008, 06:41 AM
the last batch we boiled on thurs. had loads of sugar sand. my earlier batches didn't have very much at all. wondering if it due to the weather we've had lately? or just getting near the end of the season.

Mike Van
03-22-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm way over last year too - I haven't noticed more sand, but I do have more foam. The other day, I'm getting fired up, pails to rinse, wood to move, etc., just happened to look, the foams almost over the sides!

caseman
03-22-2008, 08:18 AM
I usually get a little foam at times no pattern to it, usually on a fresh startup with new sap in the pan. I've got reverse flow setup on my front pan but even with that I've got to pull and clean out the sand in the center (3 pass syrup pan) after 50 to 75 gallons of sap this season. Played with fire level and stack temp with little change. Sap just keeps coming this season so far, never dull making syrup!