PDA

View Full Version : defoamer

drake1271
03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
what do you guys use for defoamer? my uncle says use butter but he is a old timer.. lol.. i bought some from bascoms is this stuff canola oil??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I use the Kosher defoamer. I bought a quart this year and froze it and just take out 3 or 4 ounces before each season and it should last for years frozen. I don't use nearly 3 or 4 ounces, but rather have too much in the little bottle vs not enough.

VtSugarhouse
03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Dont use butter or cream or any of those old types of defoamer.
This is cross contamination. If someone eats your syrup which has an allergy to dairy products, this could create a serious problem.
But the proper defoamer from your maple supplier.

Good luck for the 2008 season!

skinny78
03-18-2008, 01:01 AM
I bought some defoamer from the maple guys this year and leave it sitting in the sugar house. It gets cold and thick so I sit it next to the evaporator for a bit to warm it up each day. What is the best way to store defoamer? How do you tell if it is bad? If I freeze it now will it be good for next year?

Thanks,

maplwrks
03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
I Use A Powdered Defoamer. I Fill My Defoamer Cup In The Flue Pan At The Start And It Keeps The Entire Rig Flat For The Entire Boil. I Also Put Some In Salt Shaker So I Can Shake A Little Into The Syrup Pan If Needed.

pennslytucky
03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
margerine worked in a pinch, and it wouldnt be dairy i dont think. i would think that a big enuf allergy to dairy that would respond to the amount that would be in the final product would prevent the person from even driving within a mile radius of a dairy farm... but ive been wrong before

VA maple guy
03-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Matthew, just put it in the freezer at the end of the season, it will last for years. I have been using the same bottle for four years and will get several more years out of it before it's empty.

gerry

Dennis H.
03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
I got a small bottle of Atmos 300K. I believe it is made by Leader. I cost something like $3-4.
It was amazing how just one drop would just knock the wind out of the foam in the pan. Now for the small batches that I am making I use only 3-5 drops per batch as needed.
I think I heard somewhere that the Atmos 300K is a form of vegtable oil.
The others are correct in that you should not use any kind of dairy product because of the risk of medical problems with anyone with allergies toward dairy products. Now if it will be consumed by you and your family and you know non of you are allergic than I would say go for the cream if you have it.
I even heard that hanging a slice of bacon over the edge of the pan so just the edge touches the foam will kill the foaming problem??

yooper
03-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Last year I used canola oil. One drip would knock the foam down instantly.
Haven't had to use anything this year, as I haven't boiled enough yet (not much sap) with the weather we've been having.

pennslytucky
03-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I even heard that hanging a slice of bacon over the edge of the pan so just the edge touches the foam will kill the foaming problem??

i would suggest using a piece of fresh side pork instead... the salt and smoke from bacon may be disagreeable in syrup... unless you always serve bacon or sausage with ur pancakes :D

mapleack
03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Just toss in a hotdog, that way if you get too hungry you can always fish it out and chow down! In all seriousness, we use the atmos defoamer, haven't quite gone through a small bottle in 3 seasons. I just keep it in the fridge the rest of the year.
-Andy