PDA

View Full Version : any reason not to put up tubing in summertime?

markct
03-16-2008, 09:15 PM
next year i will be adding about 200 taps and was thinkin of running my lines in the summer when its nice out and the tubing should push together better and easier, any downsides to this?

maplehound
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
The bigest problems, is the bugs in the woods, the underbrush you will have to site through to get your grade. and the tubing will easily over streach in the warm weather. I would at least wait till fall. Best times is right after the leaves are off.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I always run mine during the summer when it is the warmest. Yeah, the temps are higher and the bugs are worse, but if you get it nice and snug/tight in the summer, it will stay tight when the temps drop and it fills up with sap. I can't imagine running tubing in the winter and close to zero temps that most of these guys do. It is so much easier to work with in the warm temps and in my opinion, does a better job.

ennismaple
03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
If you use 4-seasons tubing the only difference is sweating like crazy in the heat versus sweating like crazy in deep snow. I stretched a bunch in July last year and it's not too tight at all. In fact, I had to tighten some because I left it a bit loose thinking it would be too tight in the winter.

Brian Ryther
03-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I began putting up tubing last year May 1st, and I finished Feb 1st. I am glad I worked all spring, summer, fall and winter. I would have never finished in time for the season.

ennismaple
03-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I agree with Brian. The downside to doing it in the summer is the bugs, prickly ash, reduced visibility due to all the saplings having leaves on them and possibly poison ivy. Dealing with these sure beats wading through deep snow to stretch lines.

mapleman3
03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
is everyone using that new blue mainlines? how does that go up in winter? any difference?

ennismaple
03-18-2008, 08:58 PM
We're using the translucent blue Lapierre mainline (Mapleflex) in our new bush and it handled fine when we put it up in February. If it goes wiggly on us once the temperature warms up we'll put the rope lock on it and pull it a bit tighter. If you're talking about the semi-rigid blue lateral lines it handles almost the same in Januiary as it does in July. The green stuff we used to use goes rock hard as soon as the temp drops below freezing but the semi-rigid blue stays flexible and can be stretched well below freezing.

MR Electrician
03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
personally i enjoy just being in the woods with my kids ,we make a family event out of it ,the wife usually brings a book and relaxes and the kids do the work
me i supervise and play with the dog ,he loves it out back.

and i dont care about buggs or saplings or the bears or the mozzies
its all about enjoying life.