PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Urn Question

SeanD
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I was able to get a large electric coffee urn for bottling, but the thermostat cuts off the heat just before it gets to 180 and it goes into a keep warm stage. I remember some of you saying that you disconnected the thermostat on yours. I have no idea how to do that. Any pointers?

Sean

maplehound
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Sean, I use one of these coffe pots but I leave the thermostate in place. I have allways heated my syrup up in a seperate pan to the bottling temp. and then poured it into the coffe pot and bottled from there. The pot keeps the temp. up high enough for long enough to bottle.

325abn
03-16-2008, 07:25 AM
I also use one with the tstat still in place. I too heat syrup to 180 before I put into the pot.

MaineMapleDave
03-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Ditto--I heat the syrup up to quadruple-check the density, then pour it into the coffee urn, put on the cover, turn on the urn and start bottling. All of which reminds me that I really should make some sort of base for the urn--propping it up on an inverted sauce pan is probably not the safest thing I could do.............

maplehound
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
another tip, put a new panty hose or ladies stocking over the spigot, to filter the sap through and you won't have any foaming on the top of the syrup.

markct
03-16-2008, 09:38 PM
i took the cover off the bottom and removed the thermostat and keep warm element, and just put a toggle switch to the big center heater, i monitor the temp with a thermometer thru a compression fitting in the side if the coffee pot

Amber Gold
03-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I was thinking of getting a coffee urn as well for next year’s season and noticed that some of them are aluminum and are significantly cheaper than the stainless one’s. Can aluminum be used with syrup? Also, what temp does the typical coffee urn keep liquids at? Just wondering if it was high enough to keep syrup at the 180 degree bottling temperature.

danno
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
yes, an aluminum urn is fine and the urn will keep they syrup between 180-190 for bottling. With the cover on, the urn really does keep the syrup temps right up there. Stick a thermo. in to see for yourself.

Most importantly - if you use the panty hose trick, make sure they are not soiled:)

SeanD
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I have to admit I had the top off for the test run of the urn. I'll try again tomorrow with the top on, but I'm guessing if a thermostat is kicking it down to the "Keep Warm" stage at about 180, it will do it again, but it would be great it if that's the only fix I need, so it's worth another shot.

The knob-style handle on the lid is held in place with a screw from the underside, so it might make for the perfect port for my thermometer.

Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming!

Sean

davey
03-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I used a coffee urn and still do for small orders once in awhile. The advantage of the stainless over the aluminum is in the initial cleaning of a used one. In order to get any and all traces of the coffee out I tried a variety of different cleaners, vinegar, pan cleaner, etc... and on the various aluminum ones it etched the pot before I ever felt it was clean enough. The stainless ones cleaned up nice and easy and are basically impervious to acid. Don't know if its an absolute but that is my story. I also removed the thermostat and monitored it with a thermometer.

mathprofdk
03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I used a coffee urn and still do for small orders once in awhile. The advantage of the stainless over the aluminum is in the initial cleaning of a used one. In order to get any and all traces of the coffee out I tried a variety of different cleaners, vinegar, pan cleaner, etc... and on the various aluminum ones it etched the pot before I ever felt it was clean enough. The stainless ones cleaned up nice and easy and are basically impervious to acid. Don't know if its an absolute but that is my story. I also removed the thermostat and monitored it with a thermometer.

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I'm struggling with this coffee urn and aluminum question. I love the idea of a coffee urn to bottle in those cool maple syrup bottles (I've just been using canning jars), but I'm struggling with the suggestions from other threads to buy a new stainless steel urn versus my already rising costs. On the other hand, these are for family and friends, so I want to be sure that it's safe.

I'd like to buy a new one on Amazon and spend less than $40. That isn't possible for stainless. It seems that all the new threads here say that we should avoid aluminum, but then there's a lot of conflicting advice, too.

So here's my question - if I'm bottling very small batches at one time and am only using the urn to bottle (I typically boil down all day, filter into a stainless pot and let it cool overnight, finish the next day inside, filter again, and then bottle), is it safe for me to be cheap and just get the aluminum?

Thanks!
~DK

wino
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I have been using a new aluminum coffee urn this year. I finish my syrup to 219 F on a camp stove and then filter it direct into the urn, and then plug it in. It may boil for 20 seconds and then go to the keep warm format. I can now bottle syrup no problem it works for me. I will only use the urn for syrup as well, onlt cost 50 bucks.

Wino:)

lastwoodsman
03-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Wino
I am doing the same thing. I bought a new stainless steel 60 cup Hamilton Beach at Sams club for 65.00. Put a digital thermometer in it when I plug it in. Works very well. Holds at 180 perfectly. Easy to clean
Woodsman

adk1
03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
no problems with the electric element burning the syrup?

sniperdodo
03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I haven't had any problems with the element burning. Once I start bottling I keep going until its all bottled then rinse the urn right away before the sap cools for easy cleaning

Gravel
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I have an aluminum one and It works great, has sight glass which I really like and I bought it on e-bay for $20 so you may want to keep your eye out on there!

RileySugarbush
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Even if it doesn't burn the syrup, if you can hear the hiss when the element comes on, the syrup right in contact is boiling. Just a little bit and local to the element but is can release niter. That is why we switched to a water jacket.

elm creek guy
03-26-2011, 07:22 AM
I just got a 30 cup mirromatic coffee pot kinda a dumb ? Can you use it without the coffe basket and the stem that holds it?

TF Maple
03-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I just got a 30 cup mirromatic coffee pot kinda a dumb ? Can you use it without the coffe basket and the stem that holds it?

That is how I use my coffee pot.

TF Maple
03-26-2011, 08:50 AM
no problems with the electric element burning the syrup?

I heat water in mine while I'm doing other stuff before bottling so the whole pot and element is real hot. Then dump the water before adding syrup and there is no sizzle, just keeping the syrup warm. Never had any niter in my glass jars.

GramaCindy
03-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I heat water in mine while I'm doing other stuff before bottling so the whole pot and element is real hot. Then dump the water before adding syrup and there is no sizzle, just keeping the syrup warm. Never had any niter in my glass jars.

That's my plan as well TF Maple. I found that once the pot was hot, it held the heat well without reheating the product, introducing nitre.

jdsr
03-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I too bought one on e-bay and it was brand new for 25 dollars. I heat the syrup to no more than 190 to allow for a little cooling between transfer and have a cone filter in the top of the urn. I heat about a gallon at a time and send it through the urn. We bottled 8 gals. yesturday and all sealed well.

wnybassman
03-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I received my first urn in the mail today. Took tap water up to about 185 before kicking into maintaining mode, but took a while to drop below 180. I imagine filtering 200-210 degree syrup right into it ought to hold the heat very well.

Can't wait until next year!!