PDA

View Full Version : Brown Spots

Amber Gold
03-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I was boiling syrup last weekend in my pan and when I was finished I noticed there were a bunch of small brown dots on the bottom of it. I finished the syrup in the house in my stock pot and that had small dots in it too. Does anyone know what they are from, if it's a problem, and if it is how to prevent it?

Thanks

Brent
03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
someone may have a more experienced idea but I think I made brown spots in my pan anywhere I hit it with the foam scoop. Seemed to compress the nitre and make small burnt or scorched spot. When I was more careful, I got fewer to none of them.

Can't prove it. I just think that's what was happening.

Toblerone
03-14-2008, 07:37 PM
My pans get the exact same thing. I always just thought it was sugar sand. In one of my pans, it has formed a curved line instead of spots. I don't think they will hurt anything. I clean my pans between each boil but I don't try too hard to get rid of the spots. I suppose if they ever got really big it could affect boil efficiency, but I've never had any trouble with them.

Brent, that really makes sense in my case. I use a ladle and am always hitting the bottom of the pan, which would leave a single dot every time I hit the bottom. The curved lines must be where I drag the ladle across the bottom to scoop up sap. Makes sense to me.

mountainvan
03-14-2008, 07:39 PM
The spots are niter on the bottom of the pan. No worries, vinegar will take it right off.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I think they are referring to permanent little spots on the pan. I have them on mine and they are common on stainless. They are small and hard to see, I would assume they may be like a hot spot. Even your wife's stainless cookware probably have them.

Amber Gold
03-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure they weren't on either pan before. I just finished up another boil and they didn't get any worse. I don't know.

After the maple season is over I'll try the vinegar and see if it gets them out.

Thanks for the help.