PDA

View Full Version : Black Bugs

Saltlick
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
I live in the southern tier of NY. I've noticed real tiny black bugs in some of the sap and in the snow around some of the maple trees. I've never notice them in past years. I have not put them under a micro-scope, so I have no idea, how many legs they have. But they are lively crawling and jumping around in the snow. Maybe nothing to worry about , but I'm curious. Anyone know what I could be looking at?? Thanks, Bruce

mountainvan
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure they are called snow fleas.

maplwrks
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Up Here In Vermont, We Call Them Snow Fleas. I'm Sure That Isn't What They Really Are, But, That Is What We Call Them Up Here!!

RileySugarbush
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
I've seen them too, in Michigan and in Minnesota.

Here is a close up:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/EntWeb/Galleries/outdoor/beneficial/snowflea.html

Maple Restoration
03-13-2008, 09:14 PM
We have them up here in northern canada, snow fleas are normaly a signe of a quick change in weather.

mcsap
03-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Those little black bugs are called lots of things. Snow fleas is most common. They are also known as Colembola or springtails. I think I remember reading that some research has demonstrated that they are the most numerous insect that has been identified. Under the right conditions you can sometimes see large areas of the ground covered by them and actually hear them jumping around. I remember a time when I was doing a grouse survey in PA when I heard this strange noise along the survey route I was walking. Shortly, I got to a stretch of the transect where for over 100 yards the ground on either side was covered with those little critters. I hope not to see that many in my buckets, but I do have one bucket that is picking up a lot of them.

treefinder
05-23-2008, 07:15 AM
this is the first year in the last ten that i have notice them . but i did have them this past year i had no idea on what they were either so thanks for the info.