PDA

View Full Version : filter press .help!

drake1271
03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
got a 7'' short stack new.. fired it up with papers and added filter aid. drew some out of canner and it was all milky like its full of sand.. what did i do wrong???? thanks for the help.. josh

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-13-2008, 11:32 AM
You need to run the first gallon or two back into the unfiltered to give it time to clear up. Also, there needs to be a paper on each side of each plate.

Either you missed putting on a paper or you didn't have the plates lined up correctly. What I mean, it that there should be marks on each plate on one side and these need to be lined up all on the same side. If one is incorrect, then it will likely cause this problem also. I accidently forgot to put a paper in the last plate this year and I ended up with the same problem.

If you do it correctly, the syrup will be sparkling clear.

VtSugarhouse
03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Instead of using syrup for your next trial run. Mix up your filter aide and water and run it thru the press. This will put the filter aide on the paper and also after a minute will run clear. If it does not run clear you still have a problem.
If you dont have a problem then your filter press is all charged and you can change right over to syrup.

Good Luck ....just a thought!

drake1271
03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
thanks for the help guys.. one thing i noticed that my tabs are on the out line side, and that means all the small drilled holes are on that side too. i think they may have put the first base plate on wrong. so maybe i should swap it with the end one that would put my drilled holes toward the inlet side?? think this could be it??

sapman
03-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Josh,

The small drilled holes in the plates do go to the outlet side. Syrup should fill the frame, pass through the paper, into the "waffle iron" plate, through the little drilled holes, and out. Make sure all frames and plates are going on in the same, correct way, along with the end plate.

Good luck,
Tim

maplehound
03-13-2008, 10:49 PM
It also could be that you broke a paper. Make sure that the syrup is hot and don't let that pressure get to high.

drake1271
03-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I got it under control without blowing papers, i didn't know my plates had to be warm.. I cycled it through the bypass and slowly open the valve. looks great! thank you guy's for the help

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
I will say I did get into using the bypass valve and it sure made a big difference. I was pushing past 40psi after about 6 or 7 gallons of late season syrup and with playing with the bypass valve, I was able to get it to almost 14 gallon without going to any higher PSI. Takes a lot longer, but well worth it and gradually kept increasing it with the pressure. I could have possibly done more than that, but that is about the max I heat and can at one time.

VtSugarhouse
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
One thing that we always do is filter all syrup right off the evaporator just before going to the finishing rig. I find this takes out 90% of all the nitre and any impurities. As soon as it is finished the syrup goes directly from the finisher to the filter press. I have never had to play with the by-pass on the press. This is putting 50 + gallons of syrup thru in a day and never have had a problem.
I firmly believe in the filtering process between the evaporator and the finishing rig.
I know the finished product is always a nice crystal clear syrup.

Thats how I do it!

mapleman3
03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been drawing off heavy into my pot, as I get near 7 gals I check with Hydrometer at whatever temp with my Accucup, get it to correct density by adding more near syrup from the evap then heat to appx 200 then filter into canner. I do use the bypass and only go to 20psi.... Brandon gave me the idea of drawing off just a bit heavy.. works good for me.

gmcooper
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
For those of you worrying about blowing a paper. I have been using double papers in our short bank since we got it. I use the heavy white papers not the thin polyester ones. With double papers I can run 80-90 psi and never blown out one yet. I have had plates leak more if they are not tight. I do not plan to run at 80 psi but some times get there trying to run the last gallon or so of a batch. The dealer I bought the press from told me to use double papers when I bought it and they will never blow out. So far he has been right.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-17-2008, 07:10 AM
post edited

sweetwoodmaple
03-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Wow, at 80 psi, you'll have a geiser if you do ever spring a leak.

I only have a small press, so I help it out by prefiltering on an 18" x 36" flat filter screen over my draw off tank. Works real well to make the press last longer.

Dave Y
03-17-2008, 08:17 AM
gmcooper,
Try filtering a little slower and open your by pass up. you will end up with clearer syrup. Also just change the first two papers and ad a little more DE you will be surprised what that will do for you.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I run my to 50PSI before changing papers and have never blown a paper. Guess I didn't realize there are two different types of papers. What's the difference and what's the difference in price??

Kevin,

Welcome back, glad to see your butt on here and hopefully back in gear and getting close to a fully recovery!!!!