PDA

View Full Version : Rock or Red!

doocat
04-03-2004, 07:27 PM
It may be a silly question for the professional syrup makers but I was wondering if there was a big difference between Red maple and Sugar Maple as far as taste, quality, color, sugar content, etc.
I have a lot more Reds on me property than sugars and was interested in the potential.

mapleman3
04-03-2004, 07:36 PM
I tapped about 320 tpas this year 1/2 red 1/2 sugar, last year I only did 100 sugars... this year I have been complimented on how great my syrup tasted... some said the best they had... so Reds in my opinion give as good as flavor!!! as far as sugar sand... LOTS of it !!! but hey... no taps.. no sap.. !!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-03-2004, 09:35 PM
As far as taste, reds probably will make syrup as good in taste as sugars and some say it is better. I don't tap to many reds because the sugar content in reds is usually about 1/2% less than sugars and my sugar content down here is always well less than 2%, so I try to stay away from reds. Up north, it don't seem to matter as much as the sugar content is a lot higher, so if you have reds, tap them.

Basically, the 2 main differences is that the sugar content is a little less in reds and they have more sugar sand than sugars.

04-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Also reds bud earlier so the end of the season comes sooner for them.

doocap
04-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Will the color be the same or darker. I have heard there may be a difference there.