PDA

View Full Version : How high up the tree to tap & what side?

Quadmom
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Does it matter how high up from the ground I tap my trees? Also my dad said he had been told to always tap on the south or east side of the tree, any reason for this? He said he was told this but didn't really know why. Only my second year so any help will be very much appreciated. Oh and for those who told me last year I'd increase my numbers, you're right. Last year I only had 3 taps and this year am planning for 7. I know that is still tiny but it is just for personal use and I really enjoyed it last year.
Sandy

maplehound
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
first the size of the hole depends on what style of a spile you are using. Most health spiles use 5/16. Although the older spiles are most likely 7/16. The hight of the tap is not a problem unless you are tapping with tubing and need the height for gravity flow, Otherwise with buckets tap at a comfertable hieght for you to gather. Your father probably heard about the south and East side being better because they will run earlier in the day due to the morning sun on them. However you should tap on all sides of the trees so you can move around the tree each year. Studies have shown that over the course of the season that the side doesn't matter.

Toblerone
03-12-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't think the height at which you tap matters at all. A few years back we had a big ice storm that really damaged the crowns of some of the trees I tap. When the sap started flowing, sap would drip down on your head from the broken limbs in the very top of the tree. So if the sap can run all the way up there, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Quadmom
03-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Thank You both for your replies!! I am going to try attaching some tubing off my spiles and running them into 5 gallon jugs sitting on the ground. Sandy

Toblerone
03-13-2008, 08:37 AM
All of my taps are on tubing that goes down to a 5-gallon bucket on the ground. You should get taps/spiles made for tubing. I wouldn't bother trying to hook into bucket spiles. You can get the taps and tubing relatively cheap from just about any supplier like this forum's sponsor: http://www.mapleguys.com

There is also a supplier in Wisconsin that I've dealt with before. They're very nice folks (as are most people in this business) in Cumberland, WI:

http://www.andersonsmaplesyrup.com

Good luck.

Quadmom
03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks Toblerone,
My intention was to use tree saver 5/16" taps that would hook right onto tubing. However, the ones I ordered aren't here yet and we got anxious so tapped with the bucket spiles and bought tubing to run into the 5 gallon jugs.
I'll ask here also, anyone know if I can use the same hole I had my spile in last year if I drill it back out?
Sandy

cncaboose
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Don't use the same hole. There is permanent damage in the wood there from last year and it won't run well if at all. Depending on who you read, holes should be moved 1-3" to the side and should be moved up or down too. Best plan is to gradually work around the tree in the same direction over the years so that by the time you get back to your starting point there is plenty of new good wood to tap into. I moved my taps this year 1 inch to the right and 8-12" down from last year. Last year we tapped on a deep snow pack so they were too high. If you continually tap one side of the tree that side will likely suffer permanent damage and won't yield as well either.

Quadmom
03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Thank You,
I'll have to move that one tap then.
Sandy