PDA

View Full Version : dirty syrup and pans

wkies
03-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I have a 2x6 raised flue evaporator with almost 315 taps. We've had a great season so far - one of the best in recent memory. I have been getting an incredible amount of sugar sand/niter building up in syrup pan. I've cleaned both pans a number of times this season so far and have even started a new "batch" too. The bottom of the syrup pan in a little warped (getting new one next year) and the build up is just amazing. Like I said, I've cleaned it several times and the niter build up is thick and burnt in a few areas. I keep around an inch in the syrup pan - any ideas on why I'm getting such amazing amounts of niter?

Also, because of the heavy build up. I'm getting a strong burnt smell and taste - but no major burning that I know of any ideas.

I boil daily because we are public nature center and have school programs everyday - almost 1200 school kids so far this season and 3,700 visitors to our maple festival! - could this be a reason... to much boiling?

Thanks

Brent
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
No idea why you're getting so much more this year but it seems like you're not cleaning often enough. If you get areas of scorching that area in the pan will be getting a lot hotter that the rest and I think that will contribute to the warping.

Pete33Vt
03-12-2008, 03:31 AM
I know around here everyone has a problem with niter build up. Some years you get more sugar sand than others. Mother Nature go figure?! What you need to do is get those burnt spots cleaned up, then run your level a little deeper. Alot of build up will alow sap to get under the niter and burn.Hope this helps.

HHM-07
03-12-2008, 07:29 AM
some years are worse than others for stringy niter , an old timer who use to boil for us said this is a good thing it usualy means a better than average year so it may be a small price to pay for a good season. GOOD LUCK

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
If you can reverse your flow, try reversing about every three hours.