PDA

View Full Version : Oh Man!

Justin Turco
03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Allright...what did I do here?!!!! Just used oakite for the first time. I've always used leader pan cleaner in the past. I put 4 ounces per gallon of water. Used 5 gallons of water and brought it up to about 200 Degrees and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Now I have a patchy dull grey finish in the bottom of my once shiny syrup pan. I am going to put some vinegar in it and gently work that around. I have some leader pan cleaner I could try. It looks permanently etched. The used oakite water has a green tint to it. It reacted with something besides niter. Maybe the old spatula I stired it with or else my water? Any suggestions?

Justin Turco
03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, I used the leader pan cleaner. It brightened it up a bit. Still not happy with how it looks. I do not recommend Oakite!

tom jr.
03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Justin,
If you live near a dairy farm stop in and ask for MILK STONE REMOVER, this stuff will make your pan shine better than it was new. they usually use it to clean pipelines in the milking parlor and all the other stainless stuff. the best part is just simmer in your pans for a bit brush down then rinse with clean water. it wont leave any odor or residue try you will like!

fred
03-11-2008, 06:44 PM
it is CIP acid same exact stuff as pan cleaner for less than half the price .can get it at a dairy supply or tsc

hard maple
03-11-2008, 10:26 PM
justin
vinegar works as good as any pan cleaner and it's a food product.
I would not recommend using that commercial pan cleaner.

Brent
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Fred

What is CIP ? is that an abbreviation for the acid or the manufacturer ??

My wife inquired for it a while back at a local farm supply and they had no idea what was talking about.

Russell Lampron
03-12-2008, 05:41 AM
CIP = Clean In Place

Russ

maplwrks
03-12-2008, 06:12 AM
I Get Mine From An IBA Dealer That Delivers To Farms. I Think It Is Called IBA FC 350. They Have Many Different Strengths Of Acid. This One I Use Is The Strongest They Make. I Use A Quart Or So Of The Acid To Clean My Syrup Pans And They Come Out Like Brand New! The Best Part Is That It's Only $14.00 A Gallon.

fred
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM
its what the milk industry uses to clean the lines and tanks. compare that to 13 dollars a quart from leader