PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Sugar Hill

maple maniac65
03-11-2008, 05:50 AM
I got 950 tapped and boiled last Saturday night ended up making 4 gallons. Just sitting back and waiting for things to thaw out again. The best two of us did was 175 taps in 56 minutes on two feet of snow. My son will be tapping this weekend with 15 buckets and setting up his 12x24 flat pan that is gas fired. He should have a pretty good season since all his equipment is borrowed.

Mac_Muz
03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
You tapped on March 8th?

I am over in Tamworth and trying to understand if I did something wrong. I haven't made syrup for several years.

I set 15 taps with buckets on March 2nd, and haven't needed to pull one bucket yet.

What little there is, is sweet, so I know i am into sugar maple, but each day when I check what ever little is there is frozen. No bucket has over 1/2" depth. meanwhi9le everyone else has boiled some sap.

Most of what is in the buckets now has yellowed, and I am not sure if I should keep it, and boil it, or dump for a clean start?

Maybe it will run today?

maple maniac65
03-14-2008, 06:52 AM
I started tapping on the 5th and finished on the 9th. I had about 450 gallons of sap from 300 taps on vacuum in 4 days. I now have 950 tapped on vacuum in three diffrent locations. Everything is still froze but might thaw by this weekend hopefully.