PDA

View Full Version : 5/16" tubing

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
I have always used the regular Lamb tubing and I am going to install some new lines next year and needed input on who makes the best rigid tubing for the money??

My dealer said IPL four seasons, but it costs a bunch and they don't offer an early order discount. I don't mind paying the extra if it is worth it, but I would like lots of opinions.

I supposed I should use Rigid tubing :?: :?: :?:

syrupmaker
04-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Brandon...We use the 4 seasons and love it.We have tried the ridgid and semi ridgid and have had problems with the deer running through and popping the tubbing off the fittings.The 4 seasons i think would hold back a Mack truck and not pop off.Well worth the extra$$$$ if it keeps the sap going to the tank and not spilling out on the ground i think.

Rick

powerdub
04-01-2004, 06:11 PM
I am on the opposite side as Rick. I tried four seasons and did not like it. It does not clean as well as rigid either. I ended up cutting it into 36" drops and using it there. I like the Lapierre rigid tubing. It is white, easier to use than the IPL rigid and cleans very well as it is smoother than most other brands. Being white it does not heat up the sap as much either. Whatever you choose I am quite confident you will ask yourself why you haven't gotten rid of that old PVC stuff a lot sooner.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2004, 11:54 AM
I am still curious to know what each type and brand of tubing each of you use?? I am going to invest in several boxes this year, so I am wondering what each of the rest of you use??

mapleman3
04-11-2004, 06:44 PM
I had good luck with the light blue Lamb rigid!! except the squirrels made a few leaks in that too!!

it doesn't sag as much as the semi rigid

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Jim,

Did you have any problems with it pulling loose from the fittings?? I have heard some others say that the fittings pulled loose from it at times. I guess they were referring to what Leader refers to as the 30P tubing

jmattice
04-11-2004, 08:00 PM
I used that light blue stuff this year, and it sagged alot more than I thought it would. I've used the dark blue rigid stuff in the past and that doesn't sag hardly at all.
John

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Does anyone use rigid tubing for lateral lines and if so, how good does it work?

I am thinking of going to all rigid tubing for my lateral lines and drop lines and need to know if it is a good idea as I plan on leaving up about half of the lines year around??

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
04-12-2004, 08:57 AM
I use that light green US Maple rigid poly for my lateral lines and had great luck. Make sure you put it up when it is fairly warm or else when it gets warm it will sag. I know because I have a whole section to tighten because I put it up when it was 20 to 30 degrees. I use a translucent blue color Lapierre tubing for the drops, but i'm not exactly sure what it is.

Parker
04-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Brandon- Last year I used the blue 4 season,,,It worked fine and I did not need any special tool to put it together but it was a lot of $$$,,I did not have any trouble with anything comming apart over the summer and it cleaned up fine in the spring,it did sag quite a bit,,this spring I cut many feet out of it to get it tight agine,,,This year I went with the 30-p and loved it,,I put most all of it up when it was in the teens and twenties and got it TIGHT,,it is still tight at 60 deg,,You do need tools to put it together but, it is a lot cheaper and I think it is eaiser to handle,,,,VERY fast to put up with the right tool,,,I still used the 4 season for the drops,,Next year I will use the 30-p for drops,,I cant believe it can possibly come off the fittings if it has not allready with as tight as some of it is...but havent had it up over the summer yet,,I did notice that the old blue lines went to cloudy sap a lot sooner than the clear 30-p..............also I got one roll of the light blue stuff by mistake and had ALOT of problems with that stuff comming apart, plus it had a coating of some dusty stuff on it that I did not like,,tasted nasty!!! Good luck,,,,Parker

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Parker

Is the 30P tubing you are using Grey in color and rigid??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Has anyone used any of the Beaver River rigid tubing that the maple guys have on sale and if so, what are the goods/bads of it??

Parker
04-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Brandon- It is clear or white and ridged Parker

mapleman3
04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Joe Mapleking I believe uses the Beaver river.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
08-14-2004, 07:55 PM
post edited