PDA

View Full Version : Steam hood drip collection

sweetwoodmaple
03-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Looking for quick ideas on setting up a drip collection for my steam hoods.

Mine don't have any for either the sides, or the drips that come down from the stack.

I don't have a preheater, but I think I'm still loosing 5 gph or so with condensate drips.

I suppose I could bend up some aluminum channels and rivet them to the side (my hoods are aluminum)? Seal with a little silicone?

Gary R
03-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Brian,

I've only boiled 5 times but here's what I did and it has worked good. I bought aluminum channel that goes over the edge of plywood and OSB. Cut 45'S on the ends and joined them with flat 90 brackets underneath with rivets. I then used some gutter seal. My hood is at a slight angle (less than 1/2" over 4'). near the corner of the lowest point I drilled a hole in the botom of the channel and set a bucket on the floor. Hope this helps in the idea department.

Pete33Vt
03-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Sweetwood that what I did. I used some roof flasing material and bent them into channels, pop riveted them to the inside of my hood and sealed with silicone. The work great. As far as the stack goes I installed a tray to chacth the condensation from the stack and lets it run into my preheater tray. You could do the same, just direct it to the side.
Hope that helps.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Brian,

I have a 1" aluminum channel all around the inside of my hood and the preheater pan has a 90 degree lip on each end that sits down into the channel on each end of the hood. The preheater pan is aprox 2" wider than the stack, so it catchs all the condensation that comes back down the stack also. With your size evaporator, I would guess it would be more than 5gph, probably 6 to 8 gph.