PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Container

Amber Gold
03-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this question so I thought that I'd throw it in here.

After doing my first boil this year I noticed my finishing pot (an aluminum turkey fryer pot) has a pin hole leak somewhere in the bottom that I can't find so I was going to retire the pot. I have a s/s 16 qt stock pot that I'd like to use, but it also gets used for other things around the kitchen. I thought I had read/heard that containers exposed to soaps/foods/etc. cannot be used for maple syrup production. Is this true, and if so, is there a proper way to clean the stock pot for maple syrup use?

Also, aside from rinsing my s/s evaporator pan out and giving it a good scrubbing should I be doing anything else to prep it for the season?

Thanks in advance.

maplehound
03-08-2008, 09:31 AM
It is true that you should try not to use soap to clean your syrup equipment. But if you are just making small amounts it shouldn't hurt to much. The main reason for not using it is that if it doesn't get all rinsed out it will flavor the syrup. So just rinse it real well and go ahead and use it.