PDA

View Full Version : Using copper pipe for taps

syrupmaker
04-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Ok i've seen it several times on here,and by no means am i picking on any one individual,that copper pipe or tubbing is used for tapping.I was always told if you wanted to kill off a tree fast,just drive in a couple copper coated nails. Wondering if anyone else has heard this(Forester,Parker,anyone else in the logging industry?) and if copper tubeing or pipe used even for tapping could be hurting the trees.I would hate to see Tomahawk and Jfrano loose there trees down the road.Any comments i would be interested in them.

Rick

Salmoneye
04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Ayuh...

Always heard the thing about the copper nail killing a tree...

Never tried and have no idea if it is true...

Never occurred to me to use copper tubing for sap...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Salmoneye,

How's your year coming along and are you still making syrup?? Haven't heard much from you for a month or so! :o

Parker
04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi- I have herd that but never tried that and dont remember from collage {That period is all kinda hazzy in my mind, ha ha} I dont think it would be a good Idea or very economical? Good Luck, Parker

Salmoneye
04-07-2004, 07:19 AM
I will be boiling my butt off for a day or three...The trees just poured yesterday and looks like they will for a couple more days...

Super cleaned the pans last weekend and then waited...waited a bit...and then I waited some...

I am about 16 gallons on my 100 taps as of now...I expect to be closer to 20 by the end of today and when all is said and done I SHOULD be right around the expected 1 QT/tap and finish about 25 gallons...

I'll let everyone know...

WF MASON
04-07-2004, 03:29 PM
This an't about copper , but it is about tapping , I saw a guy this year after seeing the micro-spouts , take a piece of stainless tubing that the 5/16'' tubing would fit on. He cut off 2''lenghts and stuck the tubing on them and put out 150 taps he made himself. They ran fine , I also had a customer a few years back who would bore a hole in a tree , take a piece of sand paper and bevel the end of the tubing a little and stick it into the hole with no tap. He also ran his tubing to the main line drill a hole in the side of it and stick the tubing in , no manifold used. (He was driving a mercedes when he was here)