PDA

View Full Version : Door Gasket Help

Dennis H.
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
How do you keep the door gasket attached to the door for longer than one boil?
I used a 3/8" rope style gasket and used high temp silicone to attach it to the Vogelzan door. Works great for one boil, which is about 3 hrs, then the silicone is burnt up and the gasket starts to fall off.
I re-attach it to the door with more silicone for the next boil.
This last boil I did I did it without the gasket and the flames were just a rolling out of the crack around the door.
I do use a blower for forced draft. It is fed in form the back on the barrel evap.
Any ideas on attaching the gasket better would be helpful.

VtSugarhouse
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Use gasket cememt which is disigned for this application. Silicone high temp wont do the trick.

danno
03-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Ditto vtsugarhouse. The gasket cement works great on cast anyway. I'm amazed how well it stays on - and it's cheap, cheaper than high heat silicone. $3 or $4 bucks a tube - which is enough to seal probably 50' of gasket.

markct
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
i just added a gasket to my homemade evaporator, its a steel door and i bought a kit from the hardware store for under 5 bucks that had 7 ft of gasket and the tube of glue, it worked great and held to the steel just fine, i did clean it with the grinder first and that may have helped rough it up too

benchmark
03-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah I tried using high temp silicon and i had the same problem.

like vtsugarhouse and danno said use gasket cement.

Dennis H.
03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Where do you get the gasket cement?
The shop that I got the gasket sold me the silicone saying that is all he has.
Is gasket cement differnet that furnace cement? That is the only thing that I could find locally when I looked around.

Rick_Seebeck
03-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I used black gasket cement sold at my local ACE hardware. 5 bucks a tube. I used it to install some rope style gasket around my pan opening. Fired it up today and it did not burn off.

danno
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Dennis - I know my Ace Hardware carries it as well as most wood stove dealers.

Dennis H.
03-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone I checked with Ace Hardware this evening and they said they had some. They even have a kit that includes the cement and a length of new rope gasket.
I will stop and get some on Monday after work.