PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Canner?

AGR1093
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I was thinking about buying a turkey fryer with a spigot to use as a canner. However, there are very few large STAINLESS fryers with spigots available. There are a plethora of Aluminum ones. Do you think it would flavor the syrup just while canning? I am not planning on finishing in the pot, my dad and I have always just tried to bottle/can within a few minutes after drawing. What do you think? 20 minutes in an aluminum pot long enough to flavor the stuff?

Lyle
03-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I have used one of these pots for finishing and canning and I never noticed any adverse flavoring. I prefer S.S. ,but as you said they can be hard to come by. I did find them at a resteraunt supply store and bought one that works nicely.

dhbiker1
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
I use an aluminum pot that came with a turkey fryer set. It didn't have a spiggot but I drilled it and tig welded a 1/4" piece that I drilled and tapped with a 1/2" NPT. It works great. I don't think the aluminum flavors the syrup. Is there a particular reason why you think it would?

AGR1093
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I use an aluminum pot that came with a turkey fryer set. It didn't have a spiggot but I drilled it and tig welded a 1/4" piece that I drilled and tapped with a 1/2" NPT. It works great. I don't think the aluminum flavors the syrup. Is there a particular reason why you think it would?

I had heard that boiling in aluminum might flavor the syrup, but figured since it would judt be canning, I would be alright. I assumed that there would probably be more aluminum evaporator pans if it was a good idea...

mapleman3
03-07-2008, 06:16 PM
the thing with aluminum for a pan is it may not handle the heat well without warping.. but don't forget how many pots pans stock pots and such are made out there and turkey fryers boil oil at 350 deg.. if there was a problem they wouldn't be able to be used for food. can with it not a problem

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I think stainless is used because it is mandatory in the food industry, easier to clean and keep clean. Nothing to worry about use it

RICH

SapSuckers
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I use a few of them in my operation, mostly i find a cone filter fits in well and can be held with a black rubber bungee. I would love to add a nipple and valve, but do not have access to welding. has anyone ever added one with some type of compression fitting?

also, just be careful not to boil all the sap out, the turkey fryer pot will catch fire and melt! dont ask me how I know!

Mark Wengert
03-08-2008, 05:07 AM
I bought my ss trurkey cooker 2/3 yrs ago from sears. It does have a spigot and worked well for canning. just had to tip it a little at the end because the spout is not all the way on the bottom. best of luck.

maple flats
03-08-2008, 05:45 AM
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I had some syrup a few years ago that was finished in aluminum and without knowing ahead that it was, I immediately knew it was, my wife noticed it too. After we left the guy we were visiting we both said at the same time that we tasted aluminum. This guy had a ss 5x5 flue pan and then finished it in his turkey frier. So at some point there must be a time when the taste is imparted in syrup. He did finish in the aluminum so it likely spent a long time in the aluminum, especially since he was using the flue pan over an open fire and then using the aluminum turkey frier as his syrup / finishing pot. Another thing that could have had a big effect on it was that he was bragging that he only had to boil 4 times for the entire season. He would collect in 55 gal barrels and after 7-10 days he boiled. He was extremely proud of his syrup and since he was not going to sell any, but rather just keep it for his own use I said nothing. He had about 25 gal all packed in plastic jugs and said it should last him about 20 years. My wife and I chuckled as we drove off but never burst his bubble. If I ever hear he is going to start selling and producing I will clue him in but why pop his proud bubble if he likes it and he is the consumer?

AGR1093
03-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Maple Flats - Thanks! My dad and I have always made good quality syrup, and now I am starting with my own rig (got married and moved away!), I'll make sure to monitor the syrup and get some impartial taste buds to help out!

Brent
03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I can add yet another negative on the aluminum pots.

With a little inattention you not only scorch it but melt the whole bottom right out of the pot.

Never again.