PDA

View Full Version : Another pan sweetening question

SeanD
03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
So it looks like another weekend of awful weather and family obligations is going to cramp my plans for a big outdoor batch boil and I will have to try some shorter weeknight boils after work. I'd like to try leaving the sap in the pans, cover them with plywood, and just fire it up the next night.

I'm not worried about a freeze up in my pans (they stay warm for many hours and the nights aren't that bad anymore), but I am worried about the souring of the last sap to go in. It seems like warming it up would expose it to all kinds of microorganisms between boils.

How come there's no degradation of the sap for those of you who sweeten the pans and leave it for a day or two? What's the longest you can go between boils?

Sean

RileySugarbush
03-06-2008, 10:20 PM
As long as you stop adding while the pans are at a full boil, everything is sterilized when you stop. It's good for days if you keep it covered, especially if it is kept cool. I cover mine with a panel of foil faced insulation board, which is easy to wipe clean before you cover it up.

SeanD
03-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks, John. I can always count on you for great advice. I don't know the insulation board, but I'll take a look at Lowe's. I'm guessing it's pretty durable stuff and doesn't flake bits of foam or fiberglass into the sap when it gets bumped around.

Sean

RileySugarbush
03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
It's urethane foam with thick aluminum foil on each side. Smooth and clean on the flat surfaces but can be punctured easily and the edges are exposed foam. If you store it carefully it works great and is a lot cleaner and more moisture proof than plywood.

lpakiz
03-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Just don't slide your hand along the edge--stuff gives NASTY cuts from the aluminum sheet facing.