PDA

View Full Version : Cooking With Maple

MaineMapleDave
04-01-2004, 10:11 AM
{This seems like the best place to put this}.

So, beyond drizzling maple syrup on pancakes and waffles and ice cream, what are your favorite recipes for cooking with maple syrup?

Here are two of ours:
Maple Chicken:
Big ol' package of chicken thighs, skinless, in a roasting pan. Mix together 1/4 C melted butter, 1/2 C maple syrup, 1/2 tsp lemon zest, 2 tsp. lemon juice and pour over chicken. Sprinkle it all with a bit of salt & pepper and about 1/2 c sliced almonds.

Bake at 400 degrees for an hour (baste once in a while). Then drain off all the juices and put the chicken back in the oven for about 15 minutes to brown up a bit. While that is happening, degrease the juices, and boil like crazy in a small sauce pan to reduce a bit.

Serve with rice, and drizzle the sauce over it all.

Spinach Salad:
Mix together and heat: 1/2 C maple syrup, 1/4 to 1/2 C cider vinegar (to your taste preference). Pour over 1 pound washed and dried baby spinach, sprinkle with bacon bits and a grated hard boiled egg or 2, toss in 1/2 C grated cheddar, sprinkle with a bit of salt & pepper.

Okay, it's someone else's turn now.......

Al
04-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Use for a glaze on a pork roast
Put 1/2 cup or more in boiling carrots.
Makes them sweet and the kids love them.

Take a pork roast put it in a big pan with potato's carrots and onions.
Add water and maple syrup. Cook slowly in the oven at about 300 degrees.
It's good!!!!! :D

MaineMapleDave
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Carrots, I forgot carrots!!
Maple-Dill Carrots:
Bunch of carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally (about half a pound or so). Steam them covered in a saute pan in about 1/4 C water for about 5 minutes. Uncover, add 2 TB butter, 1/3 to 1/2 C maple syrup and 1 TB minced fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried dill weed). Cook until the water is evaporated (stir often) and the syrup/butter has formed a nice almost sticky glaze on the carrots.

Yummy.

jeffb
02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Use it as a glaze when cooking Salmon on the grill. I HATE Salmon, however, this was good and I liked it.