PDA

View Full Version : storage tanks

Brent
03-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I was at a farm auction today trying to pick up a highway trailer to haul hay.

My tongue was hanging out. Six, I counted them 6 poly storage tanks, 1500 galllons each. And 3 pickup poly tanks 450 gallons each.

I talked to the owner and he assured me there were never any pesticides in them. But to make sure I wasn't even tempted, I left as soon as the trailer went past my limit.

Geeeesshhhh, it sure was tempting though.

ennismaple
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
That would have been tempting even if you didn't have an immediate need for it. What would they have 6 - 1500 gallon poly tanks for? Watering tanks for cattle? Depending on which type of tank they are they would cost between $1000 and $2000 each brand new.

Brent
03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeh .. Atkinson has the 1500 gallon rounds up for $1100 and the 425 gallon pickups for $ 595.

Not really knowing what was in them scared me. Me and a lot of other peoples kids a going to eat this stuff. I like to make it easy to sleep at night.

What I did get from Atkinson a month ago was some used once Coke syrup containers. 275 gallons in a steel cage on a skid with a 2" ball valve and quick connect for $85. Hard to beat that. And these are a lot easier to move.

jemsklein
03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
How well did they clean up brent.

Brent
03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I pressure washed them then took them to my work where we put blowers on the top of each and ran them for 3 weeks non-stop. The only parts that smell of COKE now are the skids where we spill that last bits when we picked them up and dumped them. They should work just fine. Atkinson has a picture on their web site. I think there is a Coke or Pepsi bottler in Peterborough. You might be able to get some there. I'm sure Atkinson are making a few bucks but for me it was easy. $100 each or $85 for 5 or more.
Nice 6" cap in the top. Perfect for the 1 or 5 micron filter bags. In the summer I might weld up a rack so I can put one on the 3 point hitch of the JD 4040. I could do better than a gallon a bucket and still get it all in one trip.

I'm feeling more and more that our trees have some magic in them. Several days every year we get 6 to 8 gallons per tree. Empty the buckets 3 times a day and they're frequently overflowing when get get back out. Gotta keep better records this year or someone will think I'm smoking while I'm in the woods.

MR Electrician
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
brent try pouring some hot watter in the tanks then when it cools down taste the watter .it might still have the coke flavour in the plastic
the hot watter will open the pores of the plastic and release the flavour .
you dont want to toss a hole batch of syrup just b cause it tastes like coke a cola.

Gotta keep better records this year or someone will think I'm smoking while I'm in the woods.
Today 05:35 PM

and we were wondering just what it was that you were smoking in the woods .

old socks maybe.hehe

jemsklein
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Well we have a minute maid witch is coke so but they won’t sell them to me but they give them to a barrel guy and he sells them for $175 so I just keep looking at the auctions we got a brand new one last year for $80 I just wanted to know if they were easy to clean because I got some 5 gallon pails from there and I just can't get the smell out.

Brent
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
you dont want to toss a hole batch of syrup just b cause it tastes like coke a cola.

Hell no, I'll just carbonate it !

I thought you were pretty smart at one time. Just where am I going to get 275 x 5 = 1375 gallons of hot water???
I can get it it more often than I want. But that's a lot.

jemsklein
03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Ya there we go Dr Pepper Maple Flavored.

gmcooper
03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Back when I got started I guy we were building a house for gave me some Mountain Dew syrup drums. They were green poly barrels. I know why they were giving them away. Nearly 20 years later you can still smell the Mountain Dew syrup. They were washed, rinsed, power washed, bleached, soaped, scrubbed, soaked and then cut in half for cattle water tubs. With the right conditions I swear you can smell Mountain Dew when we fill them with water.

I would guess the coke would be easier to get out as many people around here use them. You wouldn't have to fill them with hot water. I would put in 5-10 gallons and then tip and slosh them around.
Mark

MaplePancakeMan
03-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Brent, that cage tank you got on the pallet where did you get the quick connect for the tank? I have 4 and i'll be dammed if i can't find it anywhere locally I've tried and tried. They don't even carry a normal hose fitting around here for that kind of threading.

Anyone have any ideas where i can get some fittings for that type of tank 275 cage tank on a pallet with 2" ball valve built into it.

Brent
03-06-2008, 10:48 PM
TSC stores have them as would most other farm supply stores or dairy suppliers.

I'm just gong to reduce them to 1" hoses.

danno
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Maplepancake - this is a copy from my prior thread on cage tank fittings.

"You sir need a buttress thread. I use the same tanks you use. I would not bother trying to replace the valve. Sap freezes in them easily and you wind up snapping them when trying to open them when they are frozen.

Find a local Banjo dealer near you and they will have any connection you need for these tanks. I used this connection (http://www.banjocorp.com/products/pr...A283++++++++++)
The female that you can't see is the same thread as your tank. I screwed the male end into a piece of PVC and plumbed in my own valve. If it's frozen, just put some heat on it or just srew it off and take it inside for a couple minutes or run some hot water through it.

If you can't find a dealer, I can get one for you. He's right down the road from me. I've also got an extra one at home that I'd be glad to send you for what I paid. My Tractor Supply, plumbing stores HD don't carry them."