PDA

View Full Version : Ball Valve Selection

Pat
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I need to install a 3/4 inch ball valve on a stainless steel pan. Any recommendations on types of ball valves. Most of what I have seen are brass with a nylon gasket inside. Will the gasket withstand the heat during boiling?

Pat

Sugarmaker
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Pat,
I use stainless full port valves that work real well. They are a little pricey but isn't everything? I like them because they clean up nice and show nice with the stainless pan too. Most good plumbing places will be able to get these. Just get the lowest pressure rating you can buy. These seem to hold up well and always function when I need them. I have 5 of them on various items now.

Regards,
Chris

Pat
03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Chris,

I'll look for a stainless one. Do you recommend applying anything to the threads?

Thank you,

Pat

Fred Henderson
03-06-2008, 05:18 AM
You can apply some teflon tape to the threads would be good.

Bucket Head
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Don't throw your money away by buying stainless fitting's from the equipment dealer's!

Go to www.buyfittingsonline.com.

Steve

Ahnohta
03-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Will the gasket withstand the heat during boiling? Pat

```````````````````
We have gone two years w/ this type and even had a few flames licking it a few times and still up and running. We are now going for 3

We are now tho going to set a piece of sheet metal below valve to act as a heat sink/shield.

DavyJones
03-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I've bought my 2 ball valves from the buyfittingsonline.com guys in Buffallo for the past couple of years and the have by far the best prices and they will ship the same day you order. But call in your order they will take it over the phone. Their UPS shipments leave around 4:00pm eastern. I just got a 1/2 ball valve from them and it was $19 the local dealer that stocks them wanted to charge me $28. They are great valves. You won't be unhappy with those guys.

Mac_Muz
03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a bronze ball valve and it has a teflon seal. So far as i know so long as there is sap or high sugar water in the pipe feeding it, it can't get the seal hotter than the liquid. It should hold up so long as the temp stays under 240, and might stay intact well above that.