PDA

View Full Version : Jug Company bankrupt

H. Walker
03-05-2008, 08:45 AM
has anyone heard anything about the "Cruchons maple syrup jug Company" going bankrupt? That's what I heard but I hope not because they are the supplier for all the plastic jugs for the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association.

Teuchtar
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
That would be sad. This is my favourite kind brand of jug.

All packagers are under extreme pressure from the China suppliers. My sister is in a similar business, and getting pounded by China.

So if you want them to stay around, buy local-made supplies and resist the temptation to go for low cost supplies.

sweetwoodmaple
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, in my business, to combat the China companies, we go to China to buy, then resell. It seems that's the only way to survive in most (not all) cases.

So, the local business may or may not be local. At least they are based here anyway.

ennismaple
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I haven't heard that. I hope this doesn't affect our supply of containers for this season. We go through a lot of the OMSPA jugs in the spring and I prefer how they look over some of the alternatives.

davey
03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I think that maybe Cruchon was bought out or taken over by Ampak Distribution Inc., but I'm not sure if that is connected to a bankruptcy or not. At the NYS conference the cards they gave out say Ampak on them and not Cruchon

sweetwoodmaple
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.novascotiamaplesyrup.com/Newsletter/Issue5.pdf

H. Walker
03-06-2008, 08:33 AM
It was the CDL rep. that told me. He said that in a way it was a good thing because the "Sugarhill jugs" are better because they had an oxygen barrier in theirs. I thought both did, but maybe I'm mistaken.

The learning curve never ends.

tuckermtn
03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I hope curchon is still kicking around - like their jugs the best.....seemes like they have the best caps, IMHO...

sweetwoodmaple
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, I've heard the same about Sugarhill vs. Cruchon.

Only problem is...Set the two side by side around here and the Cruchon will outsell by far.

I think Sugarhill needs to upgrade their design. I second the deal on the caps, I've had trouble with Sugarhill.