PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps i may be throwing the towel in.

MaplePancakeMan
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Looks like our gathering vehicle is shot. (My primary taps are 25 min away) My brother was driving it this morning and it sounded like it blew threw a piston or something and did some serious damage.(he heard a big bang then the engine turned off and he had to coast off the road) Its getting looked at this this afternoon. If it can't be fixed i'll be done with sugaring at least this year, i just don't have the monetary funds to buy a truck or fix this one if its as expensive as i think it will be.

If i have to i'll just sell the sap and be done with it at least i tapped early and made some syrup.

Hopefully its not as bad as i think.

mountainvan
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Good luck with the truck, if I was any closer I'd take your sap.

MaplePancakeMan
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Trucks going to take 2 weeks to get parts in. Kinda bummed calling around to neighbors to see if anyone has a beater that i can use for a price. I spent the day carrying 5 gallon pails of sap from all over the yard (10 acres) to the the barn where my tanks are. I carried 150 gallons 10 gallons at a time. Boiling that through right now. sugar was at 3.1% so thats all that was keeping me going.

whats everyone think with this rain/snow system coming through. Will it stop flowing after an extended run?

mfchef54
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
sorry to hear about your truck. lost my van one year and it cut my season short. carring 150 gallons a day can get old very fast.
who knows with the weather. If the weather man had been right I'd be drowning in sap. computer says its 45 outside while my temp. says 36. last time it rained it was a boon for me so I hope it's a repeat.

MaplePancakeMan
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
MrChef, very true carrying sap gets old really quick since its most of the trees are rather far. They said the low would be 39 tonight here but its already 33 here. I'm worried it won't freeze tomorrow night and then it will shut off for a day or two.