PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Gibsonia PA

Dan W
03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Earlier in the year I got a couple dozen buckets from Dave Y. to add to the dozen I have been using the past 2 years. Just finished hanging all 36 buckets here. Got a few drips here and there. Can't wait to start the fire!!!

PATheron
03-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Howd all you Pa guys do today for sap? Theeeron

PATheron
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
DaveY- Is tomarrow the mother of all runs? Theeron

Dave Y
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Theron, tomorrow will be the first sap of the year, if it runs. I predict you will get 3000 gallons tomorrow. If every thing goes right.

Dave Y
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Dan ,
Hope you have fun with those extra buckets. You keep growing and next thing you will have a real evaporator!:)

Dan W
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I hear ya Dave!! This little half pint pan is nowhere near the outfit you have. Just think though, I can't go anywhere but up from here!! Good sugaring.

Sugarmaker
03-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Theron,
Zero Sap in NW PA today.

Chris

Dan W
03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Collected about 20 gallons today. What do you guys do about unproductive trees? All of my single taps are facing south and I have 3 that weren't even showing a hint of dripping while the next tree might have had a gallon in the bucket. These were all trees that had never been tapped. How long should I wait before moving the taps to different trees?

Dennis H.
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I am having the same thing happening here Dan.

I think it takes some voodoo magic to get these things to run!
The other day when it was 35 degrees and cloudy I collected about 3 gals from 34 taps mostly from the ones with milk jugs. Now today with the temps at 57 the milk jugs had bery little and the ones that are on drop lines into buckets had at little more than the other day. Still I only got 3 gals.
A few ot the taps that were running the other day in the 30's was bone dry today??

I am hoping the rain that is to come tomorrow will help and get thing flowing.

Splashdam
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I have had 78 taps out (lines to 5 gallon buckets on the ground) since a week ago yesterday. Collected tonight after work for a total of just shy of 50 gallons @ 2.25% sugar

Port Allegany, PA 16743

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Dan W, for tree's that dont run much i normally pull the tap and plug the hole up temp with a piece of wooden dowel that way it doesnt run all down the side of the tree, then i look for a better location on the tree and re tap. I like to tap over a root or under a large limb sort of speak. Then after the season comes to a hault i remove the wooden dowel piece. remember to leave it stick out enough to grab it with a pilers if you try this..

I never seem to have a problem with where i tap north west south or east, when it warms here they always run good in most cases.

Some tree's just will not produce as i found it the past, most of the time if they dont i will cull them out just for that fact and let the younger ones come up in there palce. now with these tree's i marked them and tried them a few years in a row and then i knew they where just dead beet tree's taken up the canopy....timberrrrrr..........

charlie

plummaple
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I live in Plum Boro, PA right near the Oakmont country club. I tapped about 35 trees in early January and yesterday was a fantastic run. ended up with 55 gallons of sap. That is by far the most this year. the weather was in the upper 60's. Rain today, however with the temp, expecting another great run.

I used to work on Route 8 in Gibsonia (Citizens Bank)

Dan W
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Plum, I live a couple of miles from Rt.8 and 910. Since tapping on Sunday I have collected about 55 gallons. I am going to give the unproductive taps till the weekend then I am going to move them-I have plenty of other trees. Boiled some on Tuesday and finally got my blower working last night. tonight I hope to get most of what I have down to the finishing stage.