PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steal Creations

SapSuckers
03-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I just ordered a pan from then ebay store called Stainless Steel creations. I have not recieved it but I am very excited. All that I ordered was a different size of the parkerizing tank he sells on ebay to be used as a perheater pan on top of my flat pan, similar to how a half-pint works. The pan I ordered was 42"long x 6" wide x 10" high, with a nipple welded in to side. THe pan will hold 10 gallons. The cost with shipping was $135. That was a better price then i got locally, and he has promised quick shipping. So far, I am very pleased and he has been great to deal with.

Has anyone had any dealings with this person they care to pass on, I know there has been disscussion regarding him in the past. He offers a nice flat pan with pre heater on ebay that would be great for a small hobby pan.

Jim Powell
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I found the guys website. His company is actually Stainless STEEL Creations, but you are right, his prices are a STEAL!!! His 2X4 pan is about half what I paid from GBM.

Here is his website:

http://stainlesssteelcreations.com/

Big_Eddy
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Not too impressed with the quality of his welds if the picture below is representative. Let us know what you think when you get it. Hopefully that's an old picture and he has improved.

http://stainlesssteelcreations.com/images/picture2.gif

Dennis H.
03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I would look around locally for a weld shop to make you a pan.
I had a guy local close to me make me a pan for my barrel evap and it cost me around $160 if I remember right, cash.
The guys prices look ok but the shipping is what is going to get you. I mean if you can not find anyone close by then I think his prices are good.

New Hope Mapleman
03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I've bought several pans from him. You get what you pay for!

He has a problem with regular steel and SS as the SS wil have rust spots from regular steel transfer. Pans are fairly sturdy but not easy to clean. The dividers if you order them are nothing special. Still a bit cheaper than a professionally made pan.

SapSuckers
03-03-2008, 12:05 PM
new hope MM,

you noted that the pans were of a lesser quality, but you have bought more then 1? so like you said, are they what you pay for? Are they worth what you pay for them? Its to late for me now, i already placed the order. I did not notice the welds on his ebay listing, they do look a little rough. I will let everyone know more when thet come in

mapleman3
03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
the only thing I have found from some guys welding up pans and such is the thickness sometimes is too much.. they need the thickness to be able to weld it good enough not to warp but it's thicker than you want for the heat transfer. it will take more heat to get the boil you want

New Hope Mapleman
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I buy from him periodically if a customer of mine is unable to spend more. It works don't take me wrong. You are getting what you pay for.
Hope that answers your question.

Big_Eddy
03-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Rust in the weld area on the welded side is unusual if proper gas coverage is achieved, UNLESS using mild steel filler, but I would not expect any knowledgable welder to do that.

Rust in the weld area on the back side of the weld is not uncommon. It is caused by insufficient or lack of back purging. When welding stainless, if the backside is exposed to the regular atmosphere, the composition of the material will be affected by oxidation and the rust poof properties of the material will be compromised.

Back purge is accomplished by either masking off the area and purging with Argon (or other inert gas) or coating the backside with Solar Flux. Both are somewhat difficult and time consuming so there is a tendency to skip that step.

I'd wager a quart of syrup that's what's happening here.

Bucket Head
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
More often than not, rust on a stainless steel weld and it's surrounding area is caused by using a steel bristled wire brush to clean the weld after welding.

Particle's from the steel brush are left on the surface causing it to appear rusty, which is not attractive. I've seen a lot of milk house and restuarant equipment repair's that had a nice weld on them but were rustier than the bottom of my pick up.

A stainless steel bristled brush MUST be used for cleaning. Any welding supply has them and I bought one several year's ago at a local Lowe's store.

Steve

New Hope Mapleman
03-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Your right Bucket Head! That's the problem more times than I can say. There are alot of things that can happen, but like my grandpa used to say-start with the simple solution first!

SapSuckers
03-15-2008, 07:01 PM
i recieved my pan in the mail the other day. It was shipped right on time as promised, and it was what i expected. By no means was a leader evaporator quality, but not a leader price either. I think it will work fine for what i am using it for.

mfchef54
03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
let us know how it works out. I also can not afford a leader right now and have been considering one of his pans

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Bascoms has some nice cross flow syrup pans stainless and used, but good condition and starter pans for $ 200 to $ 400.

sbingham
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I bought a 2'x4' flat pan, preheater tank and canning unit from Paul at Stainless Steel Creations two years ago.
We are very happy with the quality of the goods and the price.
I hope to go up to a 2'x6' unit next year and I plan to purchase my next pan from Paul.
I would certainly recommend his goods to other hobby producers.

Johnny Cuervo
03-22-2008, 09:42 AM
He made me a 24Ga 22x44 3 years ago, still works great. I special ordered the 24 Ga, he said it was not much fun to weld. The welds aren’t the prettiest but 3 years and no leaks.

lmichel
03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Just thought I'd add my 3.5 cents :) about Stainless Steel Creations.
A couple weeks ago, I bought a small 1 X 2 foot pan with a lid and 12"x8" warming pan on top. The quality was great, and since my new hobby was going so well I asked Paul if he could 'expedite' me another 2' X 3' pan. He managed to get the larger pan to UPS within 48 hours! The quality of that pan is also excellent! I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.
Now I'm using the 1' X 2' pan as the warmer, and the small 12" X 8" as a finisher.
I should be ready for the river of sap about to flow through my area :-)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Sounds like the customer service is tremendous and you are not paying for evaporator company quality. Sounds like a good deal for the money.

Vandy
10-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Reviving this old thread. Any issues with these pans now.. Is this still a good place to buy from?

millscrest
10-18-2013, 09:48 PM
I bought a 2x4 divided pan from them 2 years ago and have used it both years. No complaints about the pan or the service.

coastie
03-07-2016, 05:24 PM
So I am thinking of getting a pan from these folks. How have they been for the folks here who have them?

bagpiper
03-07-2016, 06:16 PM
I bought a 2x4 pan from them last year. Have had 12 boils so far and the pan is holding up well. I'm getting 10 gals./hr. on a flat pan with no dividers! Go for it.

workinprogress
03-07-2016, 06:19 PM
I have a 2x4 divided pan from stainless steel creation which I purchased in 2013. I have used it in 2013-2016. I run about 100 taps so this pan gets many hours of use each year. The pan has worked well and I have had no issues. This year I built a float box which I connected to one of the 1/2 inch fittings. While it work well The 1/2 fitting is a little undersized.

If I had it to do again I might have him install 3/4 inch fittings.

coastie
03-07-2016, 06:55 PM
I have a 2x4 divided pan from stainless steel creation which I purchased in 2013. I have used it in 2013-2016. I run about 100 taps so this pan gets many hours of use each year. The pan has worked well and I have had no issues. This year I built a float box which I connected to one of the 1/2 inch fittings. While it work well The 1/2 fitting is a little undersized.

If I had it to do again I might have him install 3/4 inch fittings.

I sent him an email earlier today requesting a price for 3/4" fittings and thermometer fittings added.

workinprogress
03-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Just posted some pictures of the float box and connections in the thread "Float Box - 1/2 homemade"