PDA

View Full Version : Steam Management in Sugarhouse

RyanFarms
03-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Folks,
I just installed my 2x6' lightning evap in the 12x16' sugarhouse. After a light fire in the arch to set the firebrick cement, I gave the new equipment a run with water (not sap). My sugarhouse filled with steam! The upgrade is a huge increase in evaporation over my 2x1.5 hobby evap - and it makes a ton of steam! I have a steam cupola with 2 openings about 8 inches by 4 feet - but it is not venting all the steam.

Thoughts? should I work to get a steam hood?

Dan

Pete33Vt
03-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Could be a fw things. I know with my sugar house the steam won't leave very good when I first start up. It take a while for the sugar hoe to warmup then the steam will be pulled right out. Also your cupalo openings might not be big enough. Mabye some one else could give you more insight.

Russell Lampron
03-02-2008, 05:32 AM
The cupola should be atleast as long and as wide as your evaporator. The openings could be a little larger too. Mine is pretty tall for length and width, check out my pics. A steam hood that fits the flue pan will help. You can run the pipe from that right through the roof and then the steam from the front pan should be manageable.

Russ

maple flats
03-02-2008, 06:25 AM
My 2x6 did the same thing until I made a steam hood. When I got the 3x8 I made a hood before trying it. With both of my hoods I did not penetrate the roof, but just ended the steam stack in the cupola. My cupola was sizes for the 2x6 but it is still good with the3x8. I made the cupola 2wide x 4 long and without the hood on even my 2x6 it should have been bigger, but with a hood it even is good with the 3x8. For the 3x8 I have a tight fitting 3x6 flue pan hood with an extension from that forward 20" and up 14" above the syrup pan. In this single hood I have 2- 10" steam stacks, one about centered over the flue pan and the second at the point where the flue pan and syrup pan meet. This might be overkill but it works good. I do notice that a factory made hood my size only had 1- 10" vent. I do not have any dampers yet but may add them just to see if it is better.

cncaboose
03-02-2008, 06:52 AM
One other thing to consider. Did you have any doors or other air intake open on the sugarhouse? It's been pretty cold so you might have had it shut right up tight. To have steam and air flowing out the top you need to have air coming in the bottom. I know that the steam in mine won't clear unless there is a door open a bit.

mountainvan
03-02-2008, 07:55 AM
What boose said. If I have my door behind the rig closed, steam bath. Open a couple inches, vents fine. Keep an eye on the wind too, it can blow the steam right back down. Most of the time I have only one side open, seems there's always wind coming down off of the mountain.

HHM-07
03-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I had the same problem , i cut two holes with a 4" holesaw in the wall behind the evaporator down next to the floor, but a door over them when i boil i open it and it creates a draft seems to work well. and didn't cost much. good luck

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I have the same problem, 2x5 pan steam hood over the flue pan, coopalo,and usually the first 2 hrs it is bad. once things warm up and the door open things clear out

RICH

maplecrest
03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
i have a metal roof. and metal is nailed to straping not a full wood roof with the matal nailed to that. the steam would not go out the building. so i added steam hoods and stacks to solve problem. till metal heats up would not let steam out

maple flats
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
My sugarhouse must have enough air in. It is supposed to be board and batton, but I do not have the batton on yet, so there is about a 1/8-1/4" gap every 6-8". I never need to open a door to get steam to vent, just the cupola. When I put the battons on I will need to keep a watch on the steam to see if I need more air in.

Brent
03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Maple Flats

The pool shed that we are converting to a sugar shack is board and batten. We still have snow flying inside after 6 cans of "Great Stuff" foam insulating being applied from the inside. The gaps are so big the foam oozes right through and outside.

If you get around to doing the battens. Put some gunk of some kind on to seal them. I'm wishing I could keep the weather out, and have to open a door to let the steam out.

RyanFarms
03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Folks - I ended up doing 2 things. First, I installed a "steam hood" from the opening of the steam cupola to about 2 feet above the evaporator. Its not fancy, just some straight galvanized sheet metal that provides a more controlled "draft" up to the openingings in the cupola. The second thing I did was I cut a 1x4 foot hinged opening at floor level behind the rear of the arch to bring in fresh air - this also allowed me to keep my door shut to maintain a regulated flow of cool air in, warmed by the arch, then vented out the top - carrying the steam with it.

Works good - not too many drips either.

Dan

P.S. If anyone wants pictures I can send em.