PDA

View Full Version : Bricking a new arch

syrupman
02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi
I just got my new evaporator (waterloo small 19 x 36) into the sugarhouse and I have to put in the firebrick. I don't have any heat down there and I was wondering what the minimum temperature would be for the refractery cement to cure properly??
Thanks in advance for any info.

Syrupman

maple flats
02-29-2008, 04:39 PM
If you have elec just run a light bulb for heat. When I did mine I had no elec and it did ok. I am not sure of a temp range to use but you should be ok. As soon as I laid mine I put a flat sheet of tin on top where the pan will set and started a rather small fire to very slowly warm the bricks and help set the refractory cement. First of all, place the ones for the bottom just dry fit laid on the bottom if this evap calls for a bottom. Largewr ones have no floor and are just open under the grates. If this is the case, just have a non combustable floor under the unit and then lay the sides up with just a little refractory to help stick the brick in place and only use between the edges when you need to fill a gap. Did the rig give details on a bricking pattern?

syrupman
02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't have any electricity in the sugarhouse so i can't use any light bulbs. I was thinking anything above 32 degrees would be OK. Are you saying just use the cement on the sides and leave the bottom dry?

Syrupman

VT maple maker
02-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Syrupman,

Doesnt the container of refractory cement have the cure temps on the side. I know when i bricked my arch all the info was on the container. I cant remember exactly what the temps were but i remember it saying to build a fire withing 30 days of application to properly cure the cement.

Kyle

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Dry fit everything, then morter them in place and put just a very small like a paper fire in the and let is burn for a few minutes to warm up the brick and help cure them and cover it up with a blanket or something insulating afterwards to help keep the heat in after the fire goes out.

syrupman
03-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I think I'll do it just like said. I'll just make sure I do the mortor when it's at least 32 degrees. I don't have any power so I'll just score the bricks and then use a chisel and hammer. I'll have to see how clean a cut I get.
Thanks

Syrupman

Brent
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I just checked the containers of cement we have here ( waiting for our evaporator that is not here yet sob, ) It states to protect from freezing but does not give a cure temp. I think from that, that it should be above freezing to cure for sure.

When I do mine, I'm going to put in a propane radiant heater to warm the bricks and the arch, then take the cement from the house when I'm ready to apply. It will all be above freezing when it goes together.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2008, 09:40 PM
As Brent said, a small heater would work good to and leave it in there for 24 hours, you should be set.