PDA

View Full Version : copper pans

HHM-07
02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi Folks

Anyone out there using copper pans or any thoughts on them, would like to know if you do good or bad

Thanks

VT maple maker
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
HHM,

The 2x2 pan on the back of my extended 26 is made of copper. The guy who originally owned the rig made it. It has 5" deep flues and is used for preheating. The guy i bought it from always used it like this and says it was fine and it works very well. When i test fired it a couple months ago it worked like a charm. The water was almost boiling even in that pan. As far as being safe, I asked Bruce Bascom about it when i was down in alstead this summer, and he said it was perfectly fine and that people have used them for many years. Good Luck!

Kyle

Russell Lampron
02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Leader made some evaporators with copper pans a while ago. I don't know exactly when and for how many years but I think DougM had one.

Russ

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I would think the evap rate would have to be better and they would have to boil like mad as copper is such a good conductor of heat.

802maple
03-01-2008, 05:58 AM
A old neighbor of mine had a Leader set of copper pans and you are right they do boil like crazy. The only thing that made me wonder about them was if he didn't boil for a while say a week and left his pans with sweet in them the syrup picked up a slight green tint. I don't know if it was from the copper or from something else.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Copper is really bad about getting the green corrosion on it, so I would guess it was the liquid reacting with it. Now days, you would have to be concerned about someone steeling them and selling them as scrap as scrap copper is way past thru the roof.

Mac_Muz
03-01-2008, 11:30 AM
The green is verdigris, or copper oxide. Usually to see that means something acidic got into contact with the copper, or some form of salt.

I don't understand how, when it is sap, unless the sap has a slight acid of some sort in it.

I don't think it is the best idea to leave a sweetened pan around a week, and that a good cleaning with plain water and a skuffy pad might be in order keeping the copper bright.

If you use a power tool be sure to wear a dust mask, and gloves, washing you hands before you eat, smoke, and use the pan.

If you don't you will get a strange taste from smokes, and maybe food.

I work copper as jewelry, and so this is how I know.

My pan is mild steel, so would be OT to talk about in this thread.

One more thing on copper pans.. never use any copper vessel for acid fruit, like grape fruit, and oranges. Also never use copper for tomatoes. The acids will attack the copper, and the foods will become poisions.

NO ACIDICS IN COPPER! maple sap should be fine.

802maple
03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Maple can be very acidic. It is one of the best pan cleaners out there if you let it set.

troes30
03-01-2008, 05:54 PM
we had leader copper pans before we burnt out in 95'. i think they stopped making them because of the lead solder...not positive though.

Mac_Muz
03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't know the ph of sap. Maybe someone with a fish tank and some sap can take a test?