PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a new filter press!

softmaple
02-29-2008, 07:52 AM
has anyone ran into problems with brand new filter presses? what are the basic steps for preping a brand new filter press? such as cleaning, sterilizing, making sure there is no crums from the manufacturing process... i went to filter my syrup last night and i did a water test first, and the plumming was leaking and some grease or liquid teflon was in the filtered water. so i for gone the filtering of the syrup and fixed the plumming and cleaned and checked all the parts to make sure i will have the cleanest syrup possible. realizing the gear pump dose need grease and should be cought by the papers. what have others done?

VtSugarhouse
02-29-2008, 07:59 AM
On a brand new one you should wash thouroughly with very hot water and use air to blow out all ports and orfices on any metal shavings.
Also inspect every plate to see if they are all drilled properly. On mine one of the plates never got the syrup holes drilled so if I had used it that way one plate would have not filtered anything.
Another thing I would do is take the screws and plate off your oberdorfer pump and wash and inspect. Then grease it accordingly with food grade grease. Make sure this procedure is also done after sugaring.
Each night after boiling I wash my press thouroughly and make sure it is ready for the next day.
That is what I do and it works for me.

softmaple
02-29-2008, 08:41 AM
do they typicaly get packed non food grade grease?

VtSugarhouse
02-29-2008, 09:24 AM
The pumps usually do not have food grade grease in them.
These are a very universal pump and only a fraction of the pumps produced are used in the maple industry.
Consequently if you put in food grade grease in them you know what you got.

softmaple
02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
i guess your right. dont assume that cause it came from the manufacture that it would be correct

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-29-2008, 01:42 PM
I had an issue with mine sucking in syrup this week. I gravity flow it into the press until it is fulll and then siphon it out of the pan. It was surging and the pressure gauge was jumping all over the place and it was kinda of loud. I shut it off and then turned it back on a couple of times and it was fine after that.

Any suggestions?? It has always loud and made a lot of racket and surged at startup. I have never used one before last season or seen one in action, so I wanted to see if this was normal or something I need to be concerned about. It is a Lapierre press and has two grease fittings in it and I try to grease it a couple of times each season with a squirt of grease in each fitting.

VtSugarhouse
02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Filter presses usually make a bit more noise as they are charging up, but if you have already gravity fed the syrup into the pump the noise from the pump should go away instantly. Have you taken the pump apart, cleaned it and regreased it from last year?
If not I would suggest that you do it. An oberdorfer pump shouldn't need priming anyhow it will suck the syrup in very quickly and as soon as your plates are filled with syrup the pressure guage will settle right down.
Also how are you charging the system with filter aide?
Not that this is a problem i was just wondering.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
And how do you take it apart and clean it. I could probably figure it out, but would rather have an expert opinion first and what exactly do you mean by cleaning and greasing it. I probably know, but would rather be certain.

VtSugarhouse
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I presume you have an oberdorfer pump. So you remove all the screws around the end plate and remove plate. Be careful as there is a small "o" ring seal under this plate which has to be in good shape and reinstalled.
Check the bronze gears inside the pump for any damage. Now the idler gear you will want to remove. Check and clean both ends and also the end in the main body needs to be cleaned. Use your food grade grease gun and put grease into it via the grease fitting, making sure there are no obstructions.
The other gear can be removed which is the drive side but in many cases is not necessary. Just put grease in this grease fitting and make sure it is working properly.
On reverse assembly if you have too much grease either on the shaft or in hole where the ends go it will not go togeather easily. Remome some grease and put togeather gently. Make sure your "o" ring is in place.
If this is a fairly new unit you shouldnt have any side bushing wear or end plate wear. If you do then your servicing is going to be more extensive.
Please ask if you have any more questions.

Good Luck for the 2008 year

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Can you put too much grease in then thru the zerk fitting??

VtSugarhouse
02-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Yes you can get too much grease into the fitting and then the pump will not go back togeather easily. Just common sence will work as you re-assemble it.

mapleman3
03-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Where did you guys buy the food grade grease??

VtSugarhouse
03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
From a restuant suppy store.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Jim,

I got some from my dealer. Most of the maple dealers carry a tube to fit a grease gun for $ 8 to $ 10.

mapleman3
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
My supply house just told me pack a new gun with crisco. Works the same as food grade grease. Basiccaly the same.

hard maple
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
mine came with a tube of food grade grease

mapleman3
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I would think though that for the amount of time its on for me that one time greasing it per season will be plenty... it will run for about 5 minutes when I filter... just 5-10 gallons at a time.