PDA

View Full Version : Tapping this weekend?

white mt
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi all. It looks like this sunday could be a good day to tap .How about others. Are you tapping soon or holding off for a week or so .Dan

Uncle Tucker
02-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Dan
I will tap on saterday. I think this weeks is go time!!!

Hop Kiln Road
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm drilling Sunday, if I can find where I hid the bits. Apres, la deluge!

white mt
02-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I plan on digging out my lines and tapping sunday. Man!!!!! do we have some snow out their.

Russell Lampron
02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Dan we're getting more snow too.

Russ

white mt
02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Russ my kids can almost get up on the roof of my house from the white stuff sliding off.I now use a snow blower in the yard .No place to push it with the plow. This sat will make the second time this year i have dug out the lines .I hope to stay ahead of it .I hope all this makes for a good sap season ?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
The good thing about all the snow is that once it starts running, it might run for a week without stopping. If the weather hits right, it will be the mother of all runs with the snow melting and insulating everything.

white mt
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I think that could be how it plays out this year up hear .The sap may come all at once. All nighters hear we come.

Mac_Muz
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I am up to my ears in snow on the un-plowed level. As I type we are loosing the 1/2 long drive way into this place. I broke the Bob Cat big time, and the banks are too high to blow the snow over anymore.

It just falls back in.

I have had 2 test buckets out about a week, and there isn't a pint of sap between the 2.

I will tap tomorrow Sunday March-02-08 anyway.

Parker
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I am also starting tommrow

Mac_Muz
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Well I tapped all 13 buckets, for a total of 15. The 2 I hung as a test haven't changed, and the 1/2 pint of sap is frozen solid.

Not one drop was seen by me as I tapped the 13 either, I mean nada'. Not even a dampness showed drilling. 0 sap.

All my stuff is just about ready. Crude barrel stove is set other than a little bit of assembly work, and my pan is done other than washing it once more after final solder over the tig weld.

Next major project is uncover the slab wood, and then wait for 40 gallons of sap, to fire the rig up. I will probably boil off some water to be sure things are a clean as they seem.

It looks like a maybe for sap here on monday??? Then 2 days of rain? Then to cold, and then a maybe??

I will check buckets daily, and let you guys know when I see any sap.

If I had thousands I might be very busy, or wait. I am not sure I really understand how that idea works. For guys with a few hiundred taps, I think you might wait till after this cold snap. In Tamworth the trees seem frozen.

white mt
03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi All I held off from tapping today. We had wind gust in the am of about 25mph. next sat wiil have to do .

white mt
03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi All I held off from tapping today. We had wind gust in the am of about 25mph. next sat wiil have to do .

Mac_Muz
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Your, in Thornton, which is West and somewhat North of Tamworth, so I doubt you will miss a drop by waiting for next Saturday. I once lived in Bartlett, but moved south because i couldn't take the winters anymore! ;-)