PDA

View Full Version : Bags for bucket liners

sapman
02-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I know that there were mixed feelings about how the bags from Uline worked to line leaky or rusty buckets. I would be interested in trying it, as it may put 60+ buckets back into production for me.

If anyone has extras that they would be interested in selling, please PM me. I'd love to try it out without buying 1000 right off the bat!

Thanks,
Tim

tapper
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I bought 1000 of them. It wasnt too bad $130 or so. I think you can buy 500 at a time. They were here in 2 days very quick service. I currently have 300 out in buckets and have gathered them once so far. They seem to be doing the job so far.

sapman
02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Jon,

Thanks for the input. Do you remember which size you bought? And how did you "seal" the hole for the spout, so as not to lose sap between the bag and bucket?

Thanks,
Tim

tapper
02-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Tim,
The bags I got were 18x24 2mil. That size is plenty big. Just insert most of the bag in bucket and fold a few inches to the outside. I think the hooked spouts work the best for this as they dont need to puncture the bag at all. I have some hanging on hookless spouts and they will be a pain because we will have to make sure the spout punctures thru both layers of plastic everytime we hang those buckets up. Snap the lid on and you are done.

I wont take credit for all of this info because I got most of it from royalmaple.

sapman
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Jon,
I didn't see that size anymore on the Uline site just now. The closest is 24x16, and they are $69 for only 250. So it looks like they have jumped out of site, too, just like everything else plastic or metal. I wonder if this size would work OK?

Thanks,
Tim

tapper
02-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Tim,

Try this
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-1011

sapman
02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Jon,Thanks for that link!  Those are MUCH better priced than what I was looking at.  I was only looking under the gusseted bags, as that seemed to be what most guys were using.  I guess I'll have to try these.Thanks,Tim

tapper
02-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Tim,
Good luck with them. Keep me informed. I will know how I like these after I gather them a few times. So far I am liking it because I didnt wash buckets.

cncaboose
02-29-2008, 07:00 AM
We used these liners last year and will again this year, since they're already here from last year, but..............a lot of them will develop leaks and need replacing. Plus I had trouble with some of my novice help not getting the tap end completely thru the hole in the bag when rehanging buckets. Then all the sap is on the ground or outside the bag in the bucket. To add a little humor to that, my worst offender was a Harvard graduate. I still had to wash buckets at the end of the season too.

sapman
03-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Jon,

I forgot to ask what size buckets you are using with those bags. I'm assuming same as mine, 15 or 16 quart Leader/Wheeling, etc., not sure of dimensions right now though.

Thanks,
Tim

tapper
03-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Tim,
I have the bags in just about every size bucket imaginable short ones tall ones and even 5 gal. buckets but mostly in the 16 qt wheeling style bucket.