PDA

View Full Version : JB weld in pan????!!!!!!!!

SapSuckers
02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I brought my pan to a local welder the other day to reapair some leaks. My pan is 42"X48", 4 SECTION, soldered SS. The welder and i looked it over well where the leaks are, which are a folder corner, where two sections come toghter, and where the float box is connected. The welder said he did not fell he could repair it by welding because of the way things are folded together. We did notice though where one leak was some unusual substance in and under the pan. After looking closer it appears to be JB weld or a similar substance!!! The patch in the pan looks smooth, intact, and is very hard. The patch under the pan was brittle, and we were able to peel most of it off.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I spoke with a local old timer who has sugared and fixed pans for years, and he said he has made similar "patches" with a product called propoxy, and it has lasted for several years. The product package say it dries harder then steel, but harmful if swallowed.

I plan on testing my syurp for lead this year due to lead solder, but is there anything else i should have it tested for because of this "patch"

Maple Restoration
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Chris here is the links for jb weld: http://jbweld.net/techinfo/index.php
Now from what I understand jb weld is harm full to ingest in it’s liquid form but once it has curd it is not toxic. They do use this product in the food industry. This is just what I have found on the web. I hope this helps.

maple flats
02-27-2008, 06:16 PM
If you have leaks just solder it with lead free. Do this with a ss flux, clean very well first, then apply ss flux and then heat with a soldering iron. When hot enough the solder will flow and the repair is done.

H. Walker
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Rather than chance the safety of JB Weld try the stainless steel putty from Acklands - Grainger. It's USDA approved for potable water applications.
Product # DVC10270 at www.acklandsgrainger.com Expensive but maybe it could be bought directly from Devcon.

WF MASON
02-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Blenvenve Walker , I do learn something each time I come here, I'll check out the stainless putty next time I'm at Grainger USA.
I know the JB weld had been hashed over here in the past , I never had luck using it in any application.

H. Walker
02-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Blenvenve Walker , I do learn something each time I come here, I'll check out the stainless putty next time I'm at Grainger USA.
I know the JB weld had been hashed over here in the past , I never had luck using it in any application.
Your welcome, but I'm far from being French, in fact the only French that I can speak is a few curse words.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
The stainless putty better be good stuff for the price. Probably do a lot of repairs as much as you would get.

H. Walker
02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
The stainless putty better be good stuff for the price. Probably do a lot of repairs as much as you would get. Do you think they would gouge someone just because it's food-grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know about that, I expect it is more of a supply and demand thing. If you could keep it long term after breaking the seal and had a set of pans that sprung leaks from time to time, it would be well worth it if it worked good.

H. Walker
02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
It's a 2 part mixture, the putty stays soft untill the hardner is added.

SapSuckers
03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
i decided to try to fix the small leaks with a product called pro poxy 20. It was recommended to me by an old timer who has used it before. I looked at the stuff at the plumbing house and to my surpise ( and delight) it states in bold letters "safe for use on lines carrying potable water" . so i did use some inside my pan and some on the bottom. I think i will skim coat the repair on the bottom with some 2000 degree fireplace reapir in caulking form to protect it. I am not concerned about a cold spot as i am going to finish on a seperate pan. i will let you know how it holds up.

DougM
03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
I just ran across this...did you get my old pan from DaveY? :) We used a ton of JB Weld on that over a couple of years to keep it relatively leak-free.

Dave Y
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
DougM,
Those old pans of yours are out back of the barn resting!