PDA

View Full Version : Tap Leaking

NedL
02-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Ok Basic question from a rookie.

I only have 10 taps in noe, but noticed a few of them leaking down the tree when I was collecting yesterday. Do I need to tap them in a little tighter? Don't want to damage the tree.

Fred Henderson
02-27-2008, 10:12 AM
If the tree was frozen when you tapped it you might have split the wood, in which case tapping the spout in farther will do no good. Try tapped them in a bit more.

maplecrest
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
when you collected was it before everything thawed out? if main line is froze and no vent in system pressure between the tap hole and spout will tend to push spouts out early in season. do not tap them in till a warmer day when running or you will split the tree. if non vac system try venting the top of the system. will stop the pressure issue. if vac you need to run your pump. if buckets you split the tree

NedL
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I tapped them whenit was around 40 degrees. I just have milk jugs and/or buckets haning from them. But when you mentioned freezing pushing them out, that made sense. They weren't leaking until the recent 5 day freeze. When it warms over the weekend, I'll gently try to tap them in a little.

Thanks!!!