PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Franklin County VT

HHM-07
02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
We put our tanks out today and taped a few large hard maples they were not running, a friend taps 300 or so soft maples on our land , he also taped today and they were running fairly goodbut i'm not keen on the soft maples will tap more tomorrow and then wait until the BIG storm is over

Pete33Vt
02-26-2008, 03:49 AM
Well at least you got a few in. I tapped around 350 yesterday (25th) hoping to finish up today at least with the vaccum lines, not really looking forward to snow but it will help alot of bare ground around the trees at the sugarhouse. So far we are up to about 700 all tapped. Haven't setup the vaccum pump yet will wait to do that after the big storm. Good note they were trying to run alittle.

VT maple maker
02-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I put out one bucket on the 24th and it was running. But it was also pretty warm. Yesterday it ran just a little bit. I would love to tap but im wondering if its still to soon. This is my first year with more than 20 taps. I will have about 200 or so, a little more than half that on gravity line. Should i wait until after this upcoming cold spell??

Pete33Vt
02-27-2008, 03:46 AM
I would at lest get the ones on tubbing tapped and wait for the buckets. Should be only a short cool down temps coming back up on Monday.

Salmoneye
02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not bothering to tap for at least a week...9 degrees now and more snow Saturday...

Old rule of thumb was to be tapped by Town Meeting Day, but not going to matter here this year...

Long range forecast is for cold through the first week of March into the 2nd...

It'll come hard and fast when it does...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I think it is global freezing. We ought to get that started, we could sure make some money off of it. It has went from one extreme back to the other now!

LOL!!!

Pete33Vt
02-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Themometer say -15 degrees right now. No chance of sap run today. Ended up with 860 on vaccum. Gonna start on the gravity lines Sat. at least at the new bush. Gonna get as many online as possible. Hoping for at least 400. Then with the rest of the lines at the sugar house and buckets we should be in good shape. Those total around 125. We should be at just under 1400. No bad if I do say so.Just need the weather to come of right.
Good Luck to all.

802maple
02-29-2008, 05:07 AM
It only took a couple of months for Al Gore to make everything right, what a man. Now I can start burning in burn barrel again so it doesn't go to far the other way.

Dave Y
02-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Brandon, you make be joking about global freezing, but there are agroup of scienist studying that subject. They say we are set to go into a period of global cooling! so what ever way the ship is sailing we are headed for rough water.

Pete33Vt
03-05-2008, 03:48 AM
Had a so so day yesterday ended up with around 250-300 galls of sap. Vaccum pump ran all day with no problems. Had time to get sugarhouse all setup and cleaned. So I am pretty much ready to go. Not sure when we will light up and get things sweeten up.Probably today if weather lets us get around.

HHM-07
03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Pete

Where is Pattie this year haven't seen anything of him on here , do you boil at your home or at Gradys??

Pete33Vt
03-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Dick, I am not sure where Renee is this year. They tap all buckets so I am not sure if they are even tapped yet. I have not stopped into Bonds for a while. I boil in Gradys sugarhouse. I worked out a deal with him and Roger, and tap and use all there equipment. To get there you take Conrads driveway. Its 427 watewrville mountain Rd. Sugarhouse is on the right can't miss it. Probably won't be doing much till the end of the week.

Mike
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
All Tapped!!!!!! 850 total......Thought we would have more but got rid of a lot of doubles.....Will be adding some more in between runs....We still have a good 100 or so we havent tapped yet...Every time we walk the lines we see more.....We are ready............

PFHII
03-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Im right here I've been in Florida for 6 days and got back yesterday. ( I know
badtime of year but it was nice!!!!) Almost done. Ended putting up over 1300 buckets this year. Sorry haven't been around but I'm here now!!

P.S Still looking for some more buckets