PDA

View Full Version : Looking for building plans

briduhunt
02-25-2008, 09:30 AM
hello everyone I am new to the maple fever as I started out with 3 trees and 5 taps last year and have gotten up to 14 trees with 24 taps this year. I am looking for any building plans for a home made evaporator made from either a 55 gallon drum or a 275 gal oilt tank. I have access to either one just not sure how to build it out. I have looked back in the old post but I have not found any plans or postings as to where to go to get them. Any help would be gratly appreciated.
I have already tapped 9 trees so far this past weekend and started to boil on a turkey fryer. This worked last year but I am looking to up grade for next year and tapping more tree's. I am into this for a hobby and do not plan on selling anything only giving the product out as presents.

Thanks
Brian

PS Great form!

Valley View Sugarhouse
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know what kind of money you are looking to spend doing this but when I first started I managed to find a used 2x4 leader evaporator and was into the whole setup for about $500 and alot less work..

RileySugarbush
02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
It is always tempting to build arches out of barrels and tanks, but I think it is simpler overall to start from scratch. Fighting all those curves in order to connect to straight lines like bricks, grates and pans takes more work than just welding up some angle steel and screwing on some thin sheet steel.

I bought some used pans on the trader and built this arch using that method, and a door from a barrel stove kit. This photo shows how simple the frame is. The steel is 1.25 x .125 angles. Cheap and easy.

But if you can find a 2x4 evaporator used for $500, jump on it!

briduhunt
02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I would love to find a used 1/2 pint for $500 or less but they are far and few between. If there is anyone out there that has one for sale let me know. I will drive and pick it up within reason. I figured that i could build a tank evap. cheaper and easier. Thanks for the info.

TapME
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
there is a barrel evaporator on eBay for 350 in southern conn. look under maple syrup evaporators.

Dennis H.
02-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I built my evap from a 55 gal drum. I did not have any plans, I did it as I went.

I do have to say that RileySugarbush is right it would have been easier to start from scratch and not work around the drum.

Do I regret using a drum to make my first evap, Heck no! I was a blast fab'ing that thing. I just know that when I do decide to upgrade I will either fab a new one from scratch as RileySugarbush has stated or buy one used or new.

If you can get a good look one and get a few quick measurments, you should be able to draw some plans up quick.
Me personally I would decide on the size and find or get your pans first and work off pan diemensions.