PDA

View Full Version : polaris atv parts nightmare

The Sappy Steamer
02-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Have any of you guys that have a Polaris atv tried to get parts lately? I bought a 2008 sportsman 500. After 3hrs of break in 'light duty" use the fuel gauge stopped working, and it started running rough. I took it back to the dealer where it sat untouched for 52 days until I finally picked it up the way it went there. The dealer said Polaris justs keeps pushing back the delivery date on the part. They said the same run around is happening with snowmobile parts. They are also holding back on paying out rebates on new purchases. Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing? Has anyone heard if the company is in trouble or is this just the new way of doing business we all have to endure? When I e-mailed Polaris they told me "Thanks for your correspondence, but talk to a dealer" (The dealer was the one that encouraged all of their customers to contact Polaris.) Polaris also went on to say "Don't bother trying to contact us because you will not get a reply" Nice service for $7200.00. So much for my babble about buying American. I also own a Honda foretrax 450 and never had any such dealings with them. Sad!!!!!

Fred Henderson
02-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Write the dealer and Polaris Industries and tell them that you are going to contact the Attonery General. That should help someone get their act together. Then go take that Polaris piece of junk and trade it. I had two of them and the dang things would break down sitting in the garage. It was a happy day for me when I got the RTV and a happyer one when I got rid of both of the Polaris's

fred
02-25-2008, 07:16 AM
we had a 6 wheel ranger same thing and in the shop all of the time .spent half of a new one on parts.just bought a 4 wheel ranger( dont ask why{dumb move on their part}) so far so good

Jim Brown
02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I have a Yamaha 400 Big Bear 4x4 and don't do any thing but abuse it and it still works fine. No problems so far

Jim

DS Maple
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe you guys just got stuck with lemons, because around here the general consensus is that nothing beats a polaris. I won't lie; we beat the crap out of our Ranger all year long and it holds up pretty well. Last year a poorly installed tire chain ripped one of the break calipers off, and we had replacement parts at our door within the week. I will give you this though, not all Polaris dealerships are the same. The one that is closest to us is completely worthless, but the one we drive an extra 40 minutes to reach is awesome.

The Sappy Steamer
02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Scott,
I read all the test results and the Polaris finished at the top of the list. That's why I bought it. I also really like the way the machine is laid out. It's very comfortable to operate. While I'm sure all of the manufacturers have their "lemons", wouldn't you think they would do all they could to make things right? My local dealer has been very good. They just can't get the parts from Polaris. I tried calling other dealers, and they said the same thing. The same part is on the 2006 model and that's not available either.

super sappy
02-26-2008, 05:35 AM
I had an old polaris sportsman 400 2 stroke, the thing is tough as nails. It will even run completely submerged in water ( quads do not make good boats) And when paper hornets fill the muffler No problem. Let it sit for six months outside ,she starts right up and away you go. My buddy has a 2006 with all the bells and whistles and it is constantly broke. I dont think that he abuses it at all but it seems to nickel and dime him all the time. Maybe they are like the old bullet proof toyotas that arent bullet proof anymore.-ss

twigbender
02-26-2008, 07:47 AM
I still have a Polaris 400 2 stroke. Runs like a champ. I dropped it out of the back end of my pickup last spring on a blacktop road at 50 mph. It rolled 6 times. I put it back up on its feet, snapped the seat back in place, gave a pull on the starter rope, it started and I rode it back into the pickup. I don't think the new ones are as good as the old boys, but then I happen to think that old boys of any persuasion are tougher than newer ones!!
I can't be too critical of the Polaris company -- they are made in my wife's home town.

Fred Henderson
02-26-2008, 08:22 AM
I know a guy that has a 400 2 stroke and he has litterly beat that thing to death and it just keeps on going. He is a cable contractor and routinely pulls cable thru the woods with it.

Maplewalnut
02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I can't say anything bad either. I have a 97 sportsman 500 with over 2700 hard miles of skidding logs the size of telephone poles, hauling out a cart with over a cord of wood in it etc. I agree with Sappy, maybe like the other things, they just aren't made the same any more.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the new ones have way too much electronic equipment and a ton more fragile type stuff like that to break and that is causing the problems. The atvs they are building today are a lot different than they were 10 years ago.

The Sappy Steamer
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree Brandon. I think with everything there is a push for new and improved, so people buy the stuff. Unfortunately, our bright ideas out pace our ability to make them dependably.

andyp
02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I like my 1989 250 polaris. I bought it new and have had very little trouble with it. It's my number one sap hauler. It's also a good cow rounder upper no cow can out run it, so long as you keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

Andyp

Sugarmaker
02-26-2008, 08:13 PM
AndyP,
Now that advice sounds like the voice of experience!:) Happy syruping this year. Stop in when you get up this way.

Chris

super sappy
02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I posted about my old polaris this morning and I been thinking about my old quad all day now. Mentioned this to the woman who claims to be my wife and she said "NO" as soon as I brought it up. Do you know how long it has been since there has been a proper burnout in the driveway not to mention my neighbors lawn. -- I had better stop there. I want my old quad back -ss

peacemaker
02-26-2008, 11:09 PM
thats how i feel about my old indy trail ... but then again ever time i dump sap into those stainless steel tanks i have and my big stainless sink i remeber why i dont have one

The Sappy Steamer
02-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Sappy,
It's sad to think about that old quad isn't it? But, they aren't making neighbors the way they used to either. "Maybe they have too much electronic equipment and a ton of fragile stuff like that to break" Either that, or they are just still pissed about the lawn. Sorry they got to your wife though, man. The same thing happened here. The worst part is wearing those turtleneck sweaters with shorts in the summertime just to hide that red hue on my neck. My wife doesn't have a problem with it so much. She just doesn't want the world to know about her poor choices.

super sappy
02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
This neighbor moved in from the city but thats ok ,everyone needs a place to live. They brought punt, pass and kick dogs complete with painted toes and boes. Hey thats ok if thats your thing. Having a outdoor picnic and some of the guests were men holding hands, if thats your thing then by all means live it up. But then I got accused of lawn damage in a nasty sort of way Soooooooo. I showed them what a super sappy burnout was. Time has passed and we all get along good now they are great neighbors. My neck is red but dont call me a hill billy I perfer Mountain William.-Ss

The Sappy Steamer
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
That's hilarious. Sounds like your training program is successful.