PDA

View Full Version : bad fall

Fred Henderson
02-24-2008, 06:49 PM
I am still undecided if I will tap at all. I took a bad fall on the ice 2 days ago and ended up with a spraned ankle and knee.

HHM-07
02-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Fred

I'm sorry to hear that. You may have awhile to make up your mind, it doesn;t look like any maple weather up here for at least another couple weeks, i may tap tomorrow they are on line so won't matter if it don't run for awhile. Hope you come along good and are able to sugar Take care

TapME
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
sorry to here about your fall. Hope that the maple Gods shine on you and heal you fast. You will be in our prayers. Lou

mfchef54
02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
sorry to here about your fall. heal well.

cncaboose
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Fred, I'm real sorry to hear of your fall. I've got some cow size aspirin over here. One pill and you'll be feeling no pain. Good to go. I too fell 3 weeks ago on the ice, but got away with a badly sprained thumb. Wont' slow me down for sugaring but the day to day pregnancy checking cows has been a pain in the hand. Take it easy. Ian

MaplePancakeMan
02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear that fred... thats a real bummer. If its any consolation two years ago i had Knee surgery to repair my meniscus before the season. I had looked at the weather and it looked cold for 3 weeks so i thought i was safe. Then the weather smiled upon me and temps rose and a week after surgery i was limping with a cane and tapping on buckets. Took me 3 hrs for 40 buckets but i got it done haha. Collecting was tough.

If you time it right and your weather stays cold i might be done when you have to tap. I might be able to come up and sugar with ya and give you a hand.

Fred Henderson
02-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Thanks to all the well wisher.

Russell Lampron
02-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Fred sorry to hear about your fall. Do you have any helpers that could do the work for you while you supervise? Hope you get well soon enough to tap but don't risk further injury by doing it when you shouldn't.

Russ

tyrod2
02-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Fred sorry to hear about your fall.Here in Ohio we have moore ice then snow. I have a set of small chaines that slip on the bottom of my boots thay are called monkey grips. Thay worke for me real good. I recomend them for anybody that has to go out on ice. GET WELL SOON. Ronnie

Fred Henderson
02-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Fred sorry to hear about your fall.Here in Ohio we have Moore ice then snow. I have a set of small chains that slip on the bottom of my boots they are called monkey grips. They work for me real good. I recommend them for anybody that has to go out on ice. GET WELL SOON. Ronnie

LOL. Have 2 pair of Yak tracks that were in the house. Lot of good they were doing. Murphy was at it again. If anything could go wrong it would and it did.

3% Solution
02-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Hey Fred,
Sprains are better than breaks at this point.
Give it a few days for the swelling to go down and you're going to right back at it!!!!
To miss a once a year thing would be a bummer and I know that's on your mind.
So, work the swelling out, put the ice to it, take a few motrin, have a boiling soda and you'll be right back up before you know it.
Seriously, sorry to hear about your fall.
There is one thing I hate and that is ice. I would rather have 5' of snow than ice.
And man do we have ice around here!!!!
Do what the doc says and you'll be back before the end of the week I bet!!!
Take care.

Dave

Fred Henderson
02-25-2008, 07:06 AM
I didn't go see a doc, I just figured if I could walk on it then nothing was broken. I going to try to run some tubing in today and I will see how it goes. Take it from that point I guess. I would much rather have missed my wedding than to miss sugaring.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
and that's why this can't be your last year. Enjoy a few more years of sugaring and retirement while you can!

We love your PMA!

Fred Henderson
02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Barndon, I ran the tubeing so I guess that I am good to go. The ankle still has a lot of swelling. I also retire from my 8 hr a day job 5-1/2 years ago so I could do maple syrup part time. I could never stop doing it but I think next year I will scale it back a whole lot. Maybe go all the way back to a 2x4 and 100 taps.

super sappy
02-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Fred last year with the brokenleg, I screwed a bar stool (legs sawed off short) to a furniture dolly. i was able to kick and go all around the evaporator. Also the front of the arch is a great place to rest a bum leg. That heat works wonders. I think that the sugarhouse has magical healing powers. it looks like your weather is going to freeze up tight for another week so take it easy. you will be up and running before you know it-ss

Gary in NH
02-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Fred,

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I have broken one and sprained the other. It takes some time to heal and feel normal again, probably several months if it's a bad sprain. You can get a lace up ankle brace at most pharmacies that really help alot. It will give your ankle the extra support it doesn't have right now and prevent re-injury. Good luck and be careful.

Gary in NH - not a real doctor

Fred Henderson
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Well I just got back from the x-ray dept. I said hey, I am paying the bill tell me if anything is broken and of course they won't do that. Just waiting for my doc to call.Doc called and said nothing is broken,just a very bad sprain. So in the words of mission control to the Challenger space craft on lift off many years ago, they said go with throttle up Challenger and I shall do the same.

3% Solution
02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Fred,
How much snow did you get over there?
Glad to hear your doing better.
You need to get somebody else interested in the sugaring business, break them in, let them gather and you help them boil.
must have been the motrin and boiling sodas that did it!!!
Again, glad to hear your on the mend!!!

Dave

Fred Henderson
02-27-2008, 01:08 PM
When I plowed the very long driveway this morning we had at best 3". Now thats not even close to the 14" that had been predicted. None of the young people that I know including my son wants to do sugaring. All young people today want to step out of college and into a job making 100K a year. How much work can it be just walking from tree to tree dumping buckets. It takes time and the younger people might miss some time on the computer or some other form of BS.

Russell Lampron
02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Fred I got 10" over here when I was supposed to get 2" to 4". You want some? I don't need anymore.

Russ

Fred Henderson
02-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't envoy you. Anybody around here that wants to tap on the 1st of March has got my blessing. I plan on waiting until at least the 8th. I may miss a little but I am all buckets and these old legs don't get any younger wading thru deep snow. I could put the snow shoes on but I don't think I am going to. After all this is just a hobby for me. I wish someone would define how many taps are a hobby before it becomes work.

super sappy
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Fred -When does your season traditionally start? End? You must get lake effect weather. -ss

Fred Henderson
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Up here we usually tap around the 10th of March and it ends sometime around the 1st or 2nd week of April. No real Lake effect snow here. We might get just a wisp from along the edge of a storm. We only got 3 " of snow last night. Where as down in the Sandy Creek belt they probably got close to 24".

3% Solution
03-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Hey Fred,
How's that leg and ankle coming.
Are you doing well?

Dave

Fred Henderson
03-04-2008, 05:32 AM
As someone said a sprain takes a long time to heal. I was in the bush yesterday puttering and plan on putting in some taps on Thursday. I am walking without a limp. The swelling has gone down enought so that I can get my rubber boot on and I have working in the SH. Thanks for asking.