PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Markets

gmcooper
02-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Anyone here sell at farmers markets?
I spent 4 hours this am at meeting of our local market. It was new last year and they did ok but they really lack some large scale venders. Mostly small hobby type growers. I have been thinking of giving it a try. My thinking is if someone is going to sell a bunch of syrup and candy there i would rather it be us. We can also carry our greenhouse products as well as honey and our beef besides maple products.

For those of you that sell at markets do you find it is worth while?
What maple products do you take besides syrup?
Are the markets a good use of your time?

You can pm me if you prefer
Thanks
Mark

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Mark,
My family sold maple products at the local farmers market for years. Success depends a great deal on the clientele. The summer, out of town, tourist crowd were more apt to buy. Locals were there buying fresh produce. They might purchase a gallon of syrup but were then set for the year.
We sold syrup, sugar cakes and cream. Small packages of sugar cakes that can be eaten immediately are popular but labor intensive. We often took orders for maple cream to be delivered the following week. Like you, we offered other products and this made the whole thing possible. To rely on maple alone would not have been worthwhile. Good Luck.
Doug

Dave Y
02-24-2008, 05:47 AM
gmcooper,
Last year I sold at 2 farmers markets and will do so again this year. I only have maple products. You can not depend on syrup alone. I sold candy, cream, granulated sugar, coated nuts, both pecans and walnuts. I also sold maple mustard and 2 flavors of barbecue sauce. I would take in about 300 a week. It was very labor intensive though. I got to have more help this year.

jemsklein
02-24-2008, 06:38 AM
I have never gone to a farmers market. Yet in our small town of Millbrook we have a maple fest its every third week in April and we usually sell 1-200 liters of syrup in one day. So last year we almost sold everything in one day. Then the rest goes to are 3 buyers and that is enough to sell the rest.

mountainvan
02-24-2008, 08:17 AM
I must be doing something right, or make really good maple syrup, which I do!! I did two markets for several years, adding another this year. All I do is maple syrup, sugar, and cream. Without the markets I could not be a fulltime maple producer. Go to the market and sell your syrup. Don't expect to get rich right away, it may take a couple years to start making money, ie a decent profit. Going to the market also gets your syrup in veiw of local businesses, bakerys, pancake place, etc.. Hope it works out for you. If you do sell at a market, remember you are not only representing you're syrup, but the whole industry.

325abn
02-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I sell syrup along with the best tomatos around at our local FM! Most folks come looking for fresh veggies. It does take up my Saturdays so chances are that this year I will opt for more motor cycle riding and less Farmers Market! :) :)

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-24-2008, 10:08 AM
got to go with thompson on this 1 market is ok at first but people buy a couple of qts then they are set for a while. you need new customers contiuesly and also need produce in the summer

RICH

andrew martin
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
We only do maple syrup at our farmer's market. I have yet to get into additional value-added products, but would like to do so in a couple of years. We sell only at our local market, and we sold about 25 gallons in 5 weeks last year. The farmer's market is our best venue so far, and we also trade/barter with other vendors for free-range eggs and vegetables. We have an undergraduate college (asbury College) and a seminary (Asbury Theological Seminary) here as well, and sell a great deal of syrup to students and staff alike.
As well, FM is a great way to advertise my remodeling business and meet potentially new clients. Our FM only costs $25 to join, so I am not losing much on profit. Lexington's FM is $500 to join, and this would greatly cut into my profit, so we have not joined.\
We take with us a large red "100% Maple Syrup Sold Here" sign that passerbys can read from the road, instead of just passing by. WE were able last year to peak the interest of many persons just from the sign, who eventually purchase a pint or quart. As well, we take many disposable spoons with us so persons can sample the different grades and choose what they like best. If people can taste it, they are more inclined to buy it, rather than telling them what it might taste like. We enjoy the FM, even though it does take up a few Saturday mornings.

Andrew

gmcooper
02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.

We already sell 200+ gallons retail plus candy, nuts, sugar, and lolli pops, etc. Just checking to see how farmers markets work for others. I know each farmers market is different for sure. I would hate to pass up the oppertunity and then have a producer from "away" fill the slot at the market.
Mark

802maple
02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Also it will help your sales if you sample.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2008, 03:03 PM
And the same thing at the sugarhouse if you have small cups to let people sample even right off the evaporator. I just let them know it might contain a black speck or two of ash since it hasn't been filtered. People enjoy getting it right off the evaporator and letting it cool and tasting it.

gmcooper
02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
We do know how to give out samples and how well it works. On Maple Sunday we do small cups of ice cream with a squirt of syrup on it. We go thru 30+ gallons of ice cream that day and our sample scooping crew gives out smaller samples than I would for sure. Samples are generally encourged at this market for the same reason to give the customer a good experiance with your product. We are very heavy on education on syrup production and uses which in turn can only help with sales in the long run.
Sounds like most of you have had good experinces with Farmers Markets. The couple people I had talked with in the past did not do well at all with syrup at markets.

802maple
02-25-2008, 04:06 AM
You have it right,education is the key, and willingness to smile goes along way. So many people have a great product, packaged wonderfully and great display. When they get it all set up they sit behind there table and read a book or something, never acknowledge there customers or if they do they aren't very enthused and then when it is all done they say well that was a mistake we will never do this again. I know when sales aren't going to good you need to get in front of the tables and work the crowd. When there isn't a crowd , well that is a different story. It sounds like you have the sales thing down and you will do fine.