PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Vacuum oil on those cold mornings

danno
02-23-2008, 08:34 PM
On cold mornings my Deleval 75 starts turing very slowly until the pump warms up. Seems to put a lot of stress on the pump.

Do you guys add anything to your oil on cold mornings to loosen up the oil? If os, do you add it to your oil reservoir or directly into the vanes through the air intake?

sweetwoodmaple
02-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Use a magnetic engine block heater on the side of the oil reservoir. Unplug before you turn the pump on in the morning.

Also, depending on whether or not you use an oil reclaimer (homemade or otherwise), you can try running multi-viscosity synthetic motor oil. That tends to pour better at low temperatures. The only draw back is the oil is more expensive.

paul
02-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I`m not sure if you guys know it or not but there is a vacuum oil they sell that is specifically formulated for vacuum pumps. it`s called vacuum oil, we`ve been using it for years now and have never had a problem with the vacuum pump
Paul

maplecrest
02-24-2008, 07:04 AM
just give the air intake a shot of oil, but the mag heater is a great idea to save wear on the shaft and bearings. the model 75 sets over the oil and has to heat up to draw the oil up into the bearings. the drum sets in a bath of oil that when cold make it hard to turn over.

danno
02-24-2008, 07:09 AM
I`m not sure if you guys know it or not but there is a vacuum oil they sell that is specifically formulated for vacuum pumps. it`s called vacuum oil, we`ve been using it for years now and have never had a problem with the vacuum pump
Paul

That's what I had been using - still a problem on cold mornings.

Thank's for the suggestions about synthetic oil and the block heater.

sweetwoodmaple
02-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Good point from Paul, though. Vacuum oil is formulated for that specific purpose, including dealing with all the condensed moisture.

I would change the oil more often if using motor oil or ATF.

Russell Lampron
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
I use ATF in my Delaval 73. It stays thin so the pump turns easy when cold. ATF is good for transferring heat and lubricates well.

Russ