PDA

View Full Version : too much oil

nmerritt
02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I have an older Surge Alamo pump, and I was wondering if you can have too much oil running into the pump/bearings? Today I disconnected the oilers from the re-claimer and extended the hoses into a 5 gal. bucket of oil. I then removed the plug and added an adaptor to fasten a hose to go from the re-claimer back into the bucket. So rather run on 1 ½ gal, I will be cycling through just under 5. (hoping this will help keep things cooler) I also removed the needles so I went from about 9 drips a minute to pretty much a straight stream. I have the regulator down as low as it will go which gives me about 22 lbs. Seems to be cycling smooth, not sure if it’s too much oil. Anyone have any thoughts?

mountainvan
02-23-2008, 06:36 PM
As long as it's going into a reclaimer, then no. I have a drop every couple seconds going into my pumps. I'm pulling 18"-20" and the pumps are only warm to the touch. If you can, add another oil line into the air intake. Both my pumps have 1/4" thread on the intake. The 3rd line really helps keep mine cool.

treefinder
02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
what do you guys run your pumps with?

super sappy
02-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Nick I was just able to get your photos to download , I hooked up at a blazing 19,000 bps. you have come a long way. Did you add onto the rear of your sugarhouse for the sap storage? I also noticed the 8 month Pic "Is there a new sherriff in town?" any way it looks good the old vermont went to live in the Adirondacks for a wile. that thing has made alot of syrup and will continue this year on 125 taps. -ss

royalmaple
02-24-2008, 06:59 AM
The extra oil will be puked out the exhaust, so have a way to reclaim it and recycle it into the pump and your all set. Otherwise your gonna have an exon valdese episode at the pump site.

maplecrest
02-24-2008, 07:20 AM
the more oil the better as long as the reclaimer can recycle that amount of oil in the exhast vapor. adding a line to intake will keep cooler and get higher vac levels but more oil will be going thru the pump.

Mike
02-27-2008, 09:26 AM
I bought a 5 gal pail of vacuum oil from the Farm Coop in St Albans for around $35....(2 yrs ago)....I ran my pump at 24" and it melted the dripper lines....I run it at 20" and it runs fine....They say the higher the vacuum the more oil you need...Pumps run hotter with more vacuum....

maplwrks
02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Sure They Will---there Is Less Air Going Through Them To Cool Them

mapleman3
02-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I run a box fan next to my delaval 75 I can run it at a steady 19" with no problem... if I didn't run the air to cool it I would have burnt it up a few years ago.... LOTS OF AIR