PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Tape?

SeanD
02-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Is it okay to use teflon tape on threaded fittings? I was thinking of putting it on the threads of the preheater/valve that drip into the pan. I'm not sure what the temp rating on it is or if it's food safe, but I'd like to seal it up without having to crank it on and protect the threads at the same time. Copper threads get banged up pretty easily.

VT maple maker
02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Plumbers use it in household water pipes and in faucets. Also the newer evaporators use a teflon gasket between the float box and the pan. I dont see why it would pose a problem.

Maple Restoration
02-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Sean I Have used Teflon tape for the last 3 years on all my fittings and not had a problem with heat, it dose hold up well. As for the food grade safety when I had look into it and spoke with our local inspector he said it was fine. But this is by Canadian standards. I am not quite sure what the view is in your parts…

SeanD
02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Great. Thanks for the replies.

royalmaple
02-24-2008, 06:26 AM
You pretty much have to tape up the threads to get a good seal. I'd stay away from the pipe dope.

In plumbing, we typically do 5-7 wraps of the threads and your all set. In heating we do the same and add pipe dope. On my vacuum lines(pump side of the releaser) I use tape and pipe dope.(thread sealant).

The teflon is on the threads and really there is no contact with the sap, even if there was there's no harm.

Russell Lampron
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
You eat food cooked in Teflon pans don't you.

Russ