PDA

View Full Version : lining oil fired arch

SapSuckers
02-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello all,

with sugaring season just about here, or already here for some, I am again making final preps for make backyard surgaring this year. I have a few quick questions.

i have an oil fired arch, angle iron frame with metal screwed onto sides. I want to put ceramic blanket inside,

1. can i put the blanket right against the metal or do i need somethingbehind it like fire brick?

2. I assume the blanket cannot with stand direct flame, correct?

3. will a double layer of blanket help keep fumes from seeping out the screwed on sides?

I plan on putting a good layer or fire brick and motor on the wall where the flame will hit, but would like to line the rest of the arch with a double layer of 2300 blanket. Any input would be great.

If anyone has some pictures or links to pics of the inside of a blanket lined arch that would be great.

thanks in advance and i hope everyone is tapped soon.

RileySugarbush
02-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Here is the inside of my home made wood fired 2x6. Full bricks over 1" mineral wool in the firebox. 1" blanket over 1" mineral wool in the flue.

My arch is angle steel with screwed on panels as well. I sealed the seams with high temp silicone caulk when I assembled it and the seams do not leak.

325abn
02-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Here is a shot of my oil fired rig before it got dirty. The blanket can withstand direct flame but your goal should be to not have any flame infringment (the flame hitting any surface) .

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/reagantrooper/Evaporator/christmas06-1-07094-1.jpg

325abn
02-23-2008, 03:43 PM
What nozzel are you going to start with? I bet I went though 7 - 8 before I got mine tweeked to my liking last year. I end up with a 2 gal/min Not sure of the angle but I will check and post later.

I sure did learn a lot about oil burners! :)

SapSuckers
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
last year we started with a 3/4 gph and worked up to 1.5 gph. We really under estimated. We did have a 5 gph kicking around so we threw it in. WOW!!! when it lit, the pan blew about 3-4 inches off the arch! we had a rapid boil real quick, but the arch was getting cherry red just as quick. all we had was loose fire brick inside. I went back the next day and started with a 3 gph, then went down to a 2.5gph. That gave me a nice boil throughout. I think this year with the pan nice and tight with brick, blanket and slicone a 2 gph should be fine.

mapleman3
03-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes the flame can goes directly on the blanket.. mine has been in for 2 years and still is white and brand new looking....